Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zafer Bayram...

trajan

Today is Turkey's 'Victory Day' celebration, commemorating the Turkish victory over the Greek army at the Battle of Dumlupınar, Kutahya, 29-31 August 1922, the 30th August marking the turning point in the battle, 100 years ago today. 

In many ways it marked the last of the various events connected to the Great War, which can be considered as beginning with the pre-1914 Balkan and Libyan Wars, in this case leading to the withdrawal of the Greek Army from Anatolia, arriving there after the Ottoman surrender. Specifically, though, the Battle of Dumlupınar was the last of the 'Great War' battles, in terms of the wide range of tactical measures and technology used by both armies. It marked the end of a campaign that saw cavalry units armed with swords and some infantry units still using black powder cartridges, and logistical supplies moved by ox-cart, fighting alongside units using modern Mausers and smokeless powder, cars and lorries, and aeroplanes. The site museum is well worth a visit for its display and weapons collections, with Greek-used French and Austro-Hungarian made rifles and bayonets, to the German and Russian made ones employed by the Turks. 

Julian

Thank’s there Julian, the two worlds so to speak, black powder era, Calvary with their horses to all the “ modern” equipment is the main interest I have in the Great War. You mention the site museum, what museum is that? They have a web site with “ English” option?? Hey 

12 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Thank’s there Julian, the two worlds so to speak, black powder era, Calvary with their horses to all the “ modern” equipment is the main interest I have in the Great War. You mention the site museum, what museum is that? They have a web site with “ English” option?? Hey 

Hi Steve,

I guess you are up and about again properly now? I hope so! 

I visited the battlefield site some years ago, and remember that there was a museum there, unless I am confusing it with the one near Ankara!

Julian