Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bedfords, D Coy Sentry, Oil Painting

Raster Scanning

This original and contemporary 1916 oil painting hangs in my study. Frustratingly I do not know who painted it. There would have been limited access for a painter who I guess would have sketched from life and painted after, in a more hospitable location. I am wondering if it was an official artist or maybe a talented officer? Any thoughts?

17098035_1880531588881715_18042398530297126_o.jpg

17017125_1880531592215048_8684290695064403307_o.jpg

There's a Daily Mail photo of much the same composition. So yours could have been painted from that.

Not too detract from yours if course, I'd much rather have the painting than the photo.

https://www.johndclare.net/wwi1_colourphotos7.htm

TEW

This is very interesting and obviously the source of the painting. I wonder why they specifically identified it as 7th Beds, I guess someone with a connection to the unit.

I suppose as a poignant scene it could be adopted by any battalion/company the artist saw fit to title it as.

On the other hand the title could be added later by a purchaser to fit their own battalion background and adjust the date.

Unless there's a signature or monogram under the frame or it needs cleaning to reveal one not sure how to proceed.

TEW