Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur cant

Dave kellitt

Hi all,

I am looking to find some information about a man named arthur cant. I found his grave next to my uncles in cleethorpes cemetery and it says on his grave boyndie burn which im guessing was a naval battle. I found some brief information about him stating he was recruited as an engineer on a trawler or something. Would anyone be able to help with some more information about him and maybe be able to find a photo of him or his ship. I'm baffled and have hit a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

50 minutes ago, Dave kellitt said:

Hi all,

I am looking to find some information about a man named arthur cant. I found his grave next to my uncles in cleethorpes cemetery and it says on his grave boyndie burn which im guessing was a naval battle. I found some brief information about him stating he was recruited as an engineer on a trawler or something. Would anyone be able to help with some more information about him and maybe be able to find a photo of him or his ship. I'm baffled and have hit a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hello. Engineman Arthur Cant, ES 718, Royal Naval Reserve died on the 31st July 1918 aboard HM Drifter Boyndie Burn. 

Edited by Gunner 87

A few bits.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/7666142

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/380130/a-cant/

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8664316

Cause of death down as illness. National archives free to download. There is on the margin a sentence regarding death that my eyes struggle with.

Boydie Burn is the name of the small vessel, a drifter on which he served.

Dave, just to add to the records held at the NA Arthur was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal as listed on the attached Navel Medal and Award Rolls. I believe the 'WW' in the column for how the medals were issued or disposed of means to his War Widow. Arthur died on a hospital ship of pneumonia. 

A958087D-F4F1-4AE7-839C-5EA57A990C14_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Newspapers are probably your best bet, an obituary for Arthur.  I have just had a look through Find My Past and am unable to find any mention him either with the name of the vessel, his home town, being Leeds, or Banff where the Drifter was registered. If you sign up for the British Newspaper Archives I understand you can get a number of free views on any results and this site carries a greater number of publications than Find My Past. Lastly, regarding newspapers, the local paper may have an archive not on the BNA you could check

There is also a large number of public family trees on Ancestry but none have an image of Arthur. If you were to subscribe, contacting the private family trees could also prove fruitful. 

Arthurs date of birth was the 17th November 1874. 

Hope that is of some help. 

Dave, FMP also hold the Register of Deceased Passengers listing HMHS Karapara as the vessel Arthur was admitted on to, the date being 31/07/18, his last abode HMS Zaria and that he was suffering from Double Acute Lobar Pneumonia. I will send you a pm regarding the document. 

His widow, Elizabeth, managed a successful Alternative Pension Widow's [APW] - a bit higher than the standard rate for his rank - must have proved his higher pre-service income [16/4 pw extra was not to be sniffed at]

image.png.a3246a0375d98e2c3b3970cd21aa3382.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

M

• 8 months later...

If there was a photo of him in the local newspapers, I would have it, as I photographed ALL photos that were submitted which were printed in the two Grimsby newspapers that were on the go during WW1 as part of my research. Sadly, his photo wasn't printed.

That's a shame I appreciate the help. I haven't had the chance to go to the archive I'm town to look. Could you have a look for a photo of John edward buttle if possible please. If I remember correctly he has an obituary from his wife Kate in late July 1916. I think It was July 31st in the grimsby news telegraph. Its the only other soldier I've been pursuing a photo of for some time.

David

Sorry I meant to reply to your post 

Edited by Dave kellitt

45 minutes ago, Dave kellitt said:

That's a shame I appreciate the help. I haven't had the chance to go to the archive I'm town to look. Could you have a look for a photo of John edward buttle if possible please. If I remember correctly he has an obituary from his wife Kate in late July 1916. I think It was July 31st in the grimsby news telegraph. Its the only other soldier I've been pursuing a photo of for some time.

David

Sorry I meant to reply to your post 

Hi David.

This is an article from the 'Grimsby News' 28th July 1916. No photograph but hopefully of some interest.

E5E07C26-3A47-4E20-88F4-B34C82F6E16A_4_5005_c.jpeg

Unfortunately theres no photo of John Edward Buttle either

I appreciate the help. This is a bit of a bummer but oh well. Is there an obituary for arthur cant. Off the top of my head he died in 1918. In early August. I know his wife was called Elizabeth so this should help. The only other way Is of getting photographs is by contacting the family directly on ancestry which I have done. I am waiting a response from both sides.