Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langemark German War Cemetery - "Poppy Field" Early Grave Markers

cwbuff

I'm looking for a photograph of the early grave markers in the "Poppy Field" area of the Langemark German War Cemetery. As I understand it, the original poppy field or Mohnfeld was used for graves for all the reinterments in the mid 1950s from area war cemeteries (Plot B). The "pillow stone" markers that are there today were placed in the early 1970s. Prior to the pillow stones, the graves were identified with small oak and copper markers. I'm looking for a photo of one of these early markers. My wife's great grandfather rests here after he was reinterred from a war cemetery in Westroosebeke. Thanks.

There's a picture of such markers in my book "De Duitse militaire begraafplaats Menen Wald".

There's a photo on westhoekverbeeldt.be  of Langemark German Cemetery in 1918/1919.

"German Feldpostkarte of the Ehren-Friedhof Langemark-Nord. The name Langemarck-Nord was given to distinguish it from the other 14 German cemeteries on the Langemark territory. We see the cemetery as it was immediately after the First World War. This is also the location of the present military cemetery. This cemetery, called by the British "Langemarck New German Cemetery", had already been extended in 1917 and would remain so until 1930 and then until the great "Umbettungsaktionen". It covered a total area of 12,174 square metres, and in 1930, having already absorbed several smaller cemeteries, contained 10,143 graves, 3,836 of them unknown. During the years 1916-1918 new burials took place there by the Gräberverwaltung der Etappeninspektion Gent, and it also contained the graves of 28 British dead. Of these, 27, who died in October 1914, were taken to Perth Cemetery (China Wall), and one unknown to Sanctuary Wood Cemetery at Zillebeke."

https://westhoekverbeeldt.be/ontdek/detail/b4c36d9a-bbc5-11e3-9f2f-2bbacf5fd87b

langemark.jpg.4b6f4138a889d2aa16d66b7c020b8d10.jpg

Thank you for the photo. It sure has changed. I will need to study this for a while.

6 hours ago, JWK said:

There's a photo on westhoekverbeeldt.be  of Langemark German Cemetery in 1918/1919.

"German Feldpostkarte of the Ehren-Friedhof Langemark-Nord. The name Langemarck-Nord was given to distinguish it from the other 14 German cemeteries on the Langemark territory. We see the cemetery as it was immediately after the First World War. This is also the location of the present military cemetery. This cemetery, called by the British "Langemarck New German Cemetery", had already been extended in 1917 and would remain so until 1930 and then until the great "Umbettungsaktionen". It covered a total area of 12,174 square metres, and in 1930, having already absorbed several smaller cemeteries, contained 10,143 graves, 3,836 of them unknown. During the years 1916-1918 new burials took place there by the Gräberverwaltung der Etappeninspektion Gent, and it also contained the graves of 28 British dead. Of these, 27, who died in October 1914, were taken to Perth Cemetery (China Wall), and one unknown to Sanctuary Wood Cemetery at Zillebeke."

https://westhoekverbeeldt.be/ontdek/detail/b4c36d9a-bbc5-11e3-9f2f-2bbacf5fd87b

langemark.jpg.4b6f4138a889d2aa16d66b7c020b8d10.jpg

That picture is from the 1915-1917 period and has as such nothing to do with the OP's question (grave markers from the 1950s). I'll post a scan of the pics in my book later.

Jan

Excellent - thank you. The matchbooks really show the size. The pillow stones are a great improvement.

Edited by cwbuff