Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marconi Wireless Station military records.

MUU

Hello,

I was grateful recently to receive a map of blockhouses around the perimeter of Carnarvon (as it was then spelled) Marconi wireless station.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I can no longer get a response from the person who kindly supplied it.

Can anyone tell me where that record comes from and, very importantly, what the very difficult to read date at upper right is? 

All help acknowledged in full in my forthcoming report about the site.

Many thanks!

J.

map_enhanced.jpg

Could it perhaps be a plan of the site, showing the locations of the outlying blockhouses - maybe it was provided to the adjoining land owners, on whose land some of these blockhouse defences were constructed (sometime in 1916)?

The little that’s decipherable on the stamp seems to say ‘Office of Woods - date? - received”.

According to the site map,  J.O.Hughes appears to own the land to the north, with The Crown owning the land to the south.

MB

The writing top right appears to be a file reference ending /20 i.e. File No xxxx of 1920.

I presume that you have seen this:   https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/4307/The-Marconi-Wireless-Station-at-Waenfawr

Dave

I was more focussed on the indicated positions of the ten blockhouses shown on the site map - outside of the perimeter of the transmitting station. These really only had relevance during the actual war years.

MB

7 hours ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

The writing top right appears to be a file reference ending /20 i.e. File No xxxx of 1920.

I presume that you have seen this:   https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/4307/The-Marconi-Wireless-Station-at-Waenfawr

Dave

Thanks Dave. I had noticed the '20', and either a '20' or '26' on the stamp, which is tough to read. It probably is therefore 1920 - except the station's earthing system extended beyond the indicated Marconi Co. boundary in 1914. It's a question as to what the map was for, then, in 1920. Something post-war, but it's not clear what.

I hadn't seen your reference but, having spent 4 months on my own field and archive work, I'm currently at about 200 pages of fully-referenced information about this site ;-)

Sadly, though, still no source for the where the document is held. The file reference and stamp of 'Office of Works' (not 'Woods') will have to do, I think.

Cheers,

J.

From the research I did previously, it looks as though the plan of the site can be found in the National Archives: CRES 49/954. Hope this helps?

Sure you must have seen TNA references.

One is for the Office of Woods not works. It has similar reference numbers but is earlier. Perhaps they've misread works/woods.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7673131

Second record does fit your time frame.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10810431

TEW

Yes, I stand corrected on Office of Woods, the correct label on the map.  Apologies for that - 200 pages of info to handle is proving too much for the moment!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, awjdthumper said:

From the research I did previously, it looks as though the plan of the site can be found in the National Archives: CRES 49/954. Hope this helps?

Thank you very much!  If you (and anyone else who helped with this enquiry) would like to be included in the acknowledgements of my text, please send details (real name is preferred, and any relevant role/title/interest) to:

Marconi_MUU@protonmail.com

Edited by MUU