Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British P.O.W's sent by Germans to Russian Front? Any details or accounts?

gnr.ktrha

Hi,
   While searching through some 1930's newspapers at work for a different bit of research I was undertaking, I came across a man who had fallen fowl of the law in the UK. During his court case it is stated that he was captured early in the war, by the German's and was sent to work on the Russian front [The article uses the phrase "Russian Front"]. 
     I had a quick look at his existing POW record, but only a German based POW camp was listed, in 1918. He had been captured at Loos. I don't have his details to hand, but have them at work. However, I am not trying to research him, I am more interested in where he might have been held as I have not heard of this before.  My big question, has anyone come across British POW's being used by the German's on the Eastern Front during WW1? If so, are there any accounts of what they did or experienced? It's not something I think I have come across before.
     Thanks for looking, I look forward to hearing from anyone who might know the answer.
                Regards,
                    Stewart

I just found the following on this website-  https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/learning/first-world-war/scottish-prisoners-of-war-1914-1918

In May 1916, in retaliation for German prisoners being made to do such work behind the Western Front, the Germans moved 2,000 British prisoners to work behind their Eastern Front in territory captured from the Russians. As in other camps, many deaths occurred there from overwork, malnutrition, disease and accidents.

It goes on to record one man as follows-~

One victim was Private 18807 James Brown, a volunteer in 12th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, who was held in Friedrichsfeld POW camp near the River Rhine, but died on 22 March 1917 ‘whilst on Commando’. His death in an unnamed German work camp or ‘Commando’ is confirmed by other sources. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records his burial with other POWs at Meza in Jelgava, in modern Latvia. The International Red Cross records include two lists of prisoners who had died, both dated 10 August 1917. In one Brown is said to have died following illness, in the other that he ‘died in a self-inflicted accident whilst on a work deployment’. His body was later moved from its original burial place in or near Appusen in the district of Goldingen, Kurland (modern Apuiza near Kuldiga, Latvia) (
ICR Archives, PA13848 and 13855)

I would still be keen to read more details or personal accounts of the camps on the Eastern Front.
         Regards,
               Stewart

There was discussion in Parliament about this in 1919.

Eg re Private Skett who is 6055 of the Coldstream Guards, captured 1914. Exhausted after a long march in the snow, allegedly shot by a German guard for failling to move on. The German reply was that he was feigning thus legitimate action. Died 6/4/17. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001584%2f19170606%2f108&stringtohighlight=british prisoners eastern front

Another newspaper report contains a letter from Driver A Hassan RFA. I take this to be Albert Hassan 63866, again captured 1914. 

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001584%2f19170606%2f108&stringtohighlight=british prisoners eastern front

Here's another 1917 letter from an unnamed RND man. These letters will all have passed through the German censor.

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0003544%2f19170602%2f049&stringtohighlight=british prisoners eastern front

I wasn’t aware about Skett

Most unusual for a Colstreamer to be buried in Latvia

My notes confirm that he was indeed murdered

There is some content on FindMyPast, within a large dataset named Prisoners of War 1715 to 1945.

Title: WO 161/100

Description: Company Sergeant Major Gibb No. 5826 2nd Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, having been duly swore, states [in relation to bad treatment of POWs]

Hi Folks,
            Thank you all so much for those replies and references to resources. I now know what I will be doing with my morning off! I am also going to try the sound archives at the IWM to see if they have anything as well. If I happen to find anything interesting I will report back.
     Many thanks,
             Stewart

Hi Butler,
              That's interesting, will see if the library has a copy. It's not a book I have in my own collection, yet!
              Many thanks,
                        Stewart

The German censorship allowed the British POWs involved write rather freely about the bad treatment etc as they wanted to increase the public pressure on the British government so that the German POWs would be withdrawn from behind the western front. (the German POWs being used behind the Western Front as labour was the reason why Germany sent those POWs to the east, one has to remember that in this case)

Then there was also the matter of German POWs being sent by France to work in North Africa in bad conditions as well and don't forget the German POWs being locked up deep into ships to try to prevent the German U boats from attacking those ships.

As so often in wars, both sides in the conflict were crossing the borders of what was "right" or allowed...

Hi AOK4,
              Yes, I have been reading about the reasons behind the Germans sending POW's to the Easter Front. To be honest, I did not know the British were using German POW's so close to the front line and can understand why the Germans would do the same in an attempt to get the British to stop using POW's this way. The newspaper articles listed above were very interesting and went into more details about the conditions the men lived in than I thought the censure would normally have let pass. It clearly shows the Germans were keen that the British public should know why their men were being used in such a way and that they might demand action from the UK government. Did it work, were German POW's moved further back?
    Its fascinating stuff.

2 hours ago, gnr.ktrha said:

Hi AOK4,
              Yes, I have been reading about the reasons behind the Germans sending POW's to the Easter Front. To be honest, I did not know the British were using German POW's so close to the front line and can understand why the Germans would do the same in an attempt to get the British to stop using POW's this way. The newspaper articles listed above were very interesting and went into more details about the conditions the men lived in than I thought the censure would normally have let pass. It clearly shows the Germans were keen that the British public should know why their men were being used in such a way and that they might demand action from the UK government. Did it work, were German POW's moved further back?
    Its fascinating stuff.

Hello,

There was an agreement at some point to move the prisoners further back. Of course, the Germans themselves used prisoners too close to the frontline later on in 1917/1918...

Jan

16 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

There was an agreement at some point to move the prisoners further back. Of course, the Germans themselves used prisoners too close to the frontline later on in 1917/1918...

Jan

As did the allies.

The German POWs 1916-18 were forced maintaining and working under constant artillery fire on notorious "Via Sacree", the main supply route into Verdun.

35 minutes ago, egbert said:

As did the allies.

The German POWs 1916-18 were forced maintaining and working under constant artillery fire on notorious "Via Sacree", the main supply route into Verdun.

I know Egbert, but one has to acknowledge that Germany used a lot more POW labour in 1918 quite close behind the frontline. This was after the agreement was made. But as I have said before as well, both sides were crossing the borders of what was allowed.

There is a book "Black Beard and Barbed wire" ? that does deal with the experiences of one British POW on the Russian front.