Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Service in the Italian Army 1915-1918

Simon_Fielding

I have no experience with researching the Italian forces - how difficult will this be from a UK base?

I have some details 

Surname FONDINI from the 'COMO BELINZONA' region (isn't this in Switzerland?)

served in the ALPINI

survived the war.

Help appreciated!

I think google translate will feature highly in what you do.

Fingers crossed, this soldato of the Regio Esercito Italiano will have a foglio matriculo that has survived. I don't think they have been digitised for the most part.  

Hello, it seems only one with that surname died in WW1, on the 04/11/1918 due illness.

Probably survived. You should write to the Archivio di Stato (Town Archive) of Como.

They have "liste di leva", military rolls, from WW1 Como Military district from 1840s to 1940s/1960s

I wonder which Alpini Regiment he served with, because that boy came from Bellinzona (Switzerland). Some anyway served in REI, born in USA, Germany, Brazil, Russia and so on

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I think google translate will feature highly in what you do.

Fingers crossed, this soldato of the Regio Esercito Italiano will have a foglio matriculo that has survived. I don't think they have been digitised for the most part.  

foglio matricolare if he was a soldier, in that case an Alpino, but if he was an officer, for example a Sottotenente (Second Lieutenant) had not a personal military roll, but a personal little book called "Stato di Servizio", translated as service status, in use still today.

Those latter, for officers, are stored up in Rome, Viale dell'Esercito, 186, V Reparto - 10^ Divisione Esercito

Edited by deutscherinfanteriest

That looks like a great start - thank you / mille grazie