Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Pichler

Peter Beckett

How do I go about researching this soldier - Joseph Pichler 16th Bavarian Infantry Regiment who was killed on the 14th July 1916 on the Somme?

I am interested in where he was killed as the 14th is "special' to me, being the start of High Wood when my grandfather was wounded.

Peter

Hello Peter,

There are a number of ways to go about researching this soldier. You can check to see if he has a known grave (I looked, he is not listed on the German War Graves site). Fortunately the Bavarian Archives in Munich still exists and there should be a record of the soldier covering his personal data, military record, etc. and report of death.

I would look at any regimental history that would provide some detail on the regimental activities and actions fought on 14 July. I did take a quick look at the book Somme-Nord Teil 2. The 16th Bav. I.R. was at the northern edge of Bazentin-le-Petit Wood during the British attack. The III/16 Bav IR received orders to support the front line through the wood and stop the enemy advance.

The men were met with heavy artillery fire and fighting with British troops resulting in heavy losses for the Bavarians. The other battalions were also involved in the fighting from what I can make out quickly and also suffered losses. He was most likely killed during this fighting.

I recommend sending for any details from the archives. If you can get there I believe you might find further details from battalion and company records. Good luck in your search.

Ralph

Ralph,

Many thanks for that.

I dont suppose any of the records have been translated as my German is very rusty.

Peter

Hello Peter,

I do not have the archive materials but I do have a rough translation of the Somme Nord Teil 2 section that deals with this day. Send me your e-mail address via the message section and I will send it over to you.

I also have the regimental history but have not translated it at this time.

Ralph

Ralph,

received your email and WOW!! What a fascinating document especially as on page 14, my "old Friend" Major Witte gets a mention.

It is really great to read from the "other" side and see the German happenings. What is also amazing was their intelligence. They knew the divisions, regiments and battalions attacking them.

If you ever get the time and finish the translations, then put me down as a customer. :P

Many Thanks again and I will keep a look out for any off the cards you listed

Ps I am from south of Sydney, near Melbourne in Victoria

Peter :)

Glad I could help Peter, if I do complete the project I will keep you in mind.

Ralph