Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. H.A.P de Berry, Royal Marines

KizmeRD

Can any forum pal provide me with the low-down on what this chap got up to during the Zeebrugge Raid 22/23 April 1918?

All I know for sure is that he was i/c No. 7 platoon and was involved somehow in storming the Mole with ladders, for which he received a MiD from Vice Admiral Commanding Dover Patrol (Gazetted 23 July 1918). He was also injured during the raid.

Retired 1945 with the rank of Major.

ADM 196/65/167

MB

@domwalsh might be your go-to for this.

The ADM record is available free at the moment so I assume you've looked at that?

This was probably VINDICTIVE? There is a brief mention (picked up in Google Books search) in E C Coleman's No Pyrrhic victories: the 1918 Raids on Zeebrugge and Ostend: a radical reappraisal. (History Press, 2014).

Commander Thomas Arthur Leach de Berry, one of the Dover Patrol's transport officers, was his father.

Sue, thanks for steering me towards VINDICTIVE, and you’r right. Turns out Nos 5, 6, 7 &  8 platoons were part of B Company who were embarked in HMS Vindictive.

As one marine described it…

As the Vindictive had berthed nearer the shore than was originally intended, the first objective of capturing an anti-aircraft gun, prior to demolishing a structure on the Mole, known as No.3 shed, and dealing with any German defenders within, had to be modified.

MB

3 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Sue

>cough< :rolleyes: 

Hold on though, heading for another source.

DM incoming, check your messages.

Hello Sea-Jane. Received this - thought that GWF had `disappeared' ?? Not been able to contribute for soem time !! Not too sure what you require. I do remember that we had some great conversations / looking up together. BUT, getting Old and cannot recall all We & I did on GWF. Much missed the input.

12 hours ago, sadsac said:

thought that GWF had `disappeared' ??

Can't think what can have happened unless you are thinking of World Ships Forum which did have to close down for an assortment of reasons! I cited your post for @KizmeRD who was/is looking for De Berry material.

Good to see you, anyhow 🙂

Dom will provide me with all the material I need regarding ‘Jerry de Berry’ (he even has his medals), but nice to see @sadsacreturning to the forum. It’s a bit like the IRON DUKE returning to the  Grand Fleet after a prolonged refit!

MB

By way of interest, I’ve just discovered that Capt. HAP de Berry RM commanded the guard of honour at the funeral of Admiral Jellicoe in 1935… then a year later he commanded the funeral party for Admiral Beatty.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

• 9 months later...
On 21/08/2022 at 20:19, KizmeRD said:

Jane :wub:

KizmeRD

Do you have copies of the two references to de Berry?

Best

Dom

Dom,

Have a look here (he’s listed under Capt. HAP BERRY - with some other entries under the name ‘de Berry’)
https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/G%26L 1930-1959 Index (Officers).pdf

MB

Edit - there is also an Obituary in the Globe & Laurel Magazine 1974/318

Edited by KizmeRD