Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John edward buttle

Dave kellitt

Hi,

I'm looking to find a picture of this soldier who died in the somme 17th July 1916. I have taken some interest in some war graves and this guy is right next to one of my family members. I have seen his name mentioned on here before and was hoping someone could help find an image of him.

Much appreciated 

Dave

16607543054214023646679843295364.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The best bet for photos is a local newspaper of the time. It’s likely he was wounded and made it home to die, men weren’t repatriated ( a few were up to 1915) 

• Admin

Link to previous thread on this man

• 2 weeks later...

Hi michelle,

I have had a browse for about 2 weeks or so to find photos in the newspaper archives and had no luck. There seems to be newspapers in the online archive in early parts of 1916 and later parts but none in the time period I'm looking for. Would you recommend going to the library to see if they have some newspapers around this time?

Thanks

David

• Admin

You could do, it’s very many years since I’ve done newspapers searches at a library, it was all microfiche in those days! Might be worth a call to them before you go? 

On 17/08/2022 at 17:40, Dave kellitt said:

hoping someone could help find an image of him.

Given you have already tried newspapers I guess a next option might be to try and see if he has appeared on anyone's published family tree [with the standard cautionary warning to check and double check that they have got things right!!].

To do this it may be useful to know his wider family's names.

This pension card from WFA/Fold3 may perhaps assist as a starter:

image.png.9de3775aeb46ca4da58a3f9ffd5d417b.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Kate could be short for Katherine, or perhaps Catherine, and Kathleen could easily be shortened to Kath.

Plenty to check for birth, marriages and death etc. I guess [for me it's often easiest to start with FreeBMD and then move on to GRO later]

And then to the wider web!

Good luck.

M