Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Nurses In Perm and Ekaterinburg

militaryhistorywriter

I read somewhere that a German train had travelled to Perm and Ekaterinburg with a number of high ranking German Imperial Army officers and German nurses in June, 1918. I believe it was to inspect German and Austro-Hungarian POWs that were held in Russian POW camps. Any truth to this statement?

Mate

Yes, a number of times German Red Cross nurses traveled around Russia and Turkey inspecting the arrangements.

Hears a group early in the war

Gagern Elisabeth von    Rot-Kreuz Schwester / Nurse Sister    part tour to the PoW camps in Russia 10-15 together with Generaloberin Mathilde Freiin von Horn - Alexandrine Gräfin von Üxkull-Gyllenband and Erika von Passow & Magdalene von Walsleben & Oberin Emma von Bülow   

She died in 1916 but other missions did this Russia by 1918 opened up an allowed German units into the Ukran and further they took over Sabastapole in the Crimea.

So its a start to check others

S.B

By that time, there were agreements in force to return each other's POWs. Russian POWs were pulled back from the Western Front by that time and replaced by Italians and others as POW labourers. Perhaps the visit was to check on the progress of repatriations?

• 1 month later...

The book Left Behind by Baroness Sophie Buxhoevden which is online she mentions seeing a German Red Cross train in Ekaterinburg with nurses in 1918

In june 1916 a group of German and Austrian nurses were presented to the Empress Alexandra.

• 1 month later...

Great finds be interesting to see what they made of it. 

The English version doesn't seem to be available online. (at least: I cannot find it)

On a different note:

I've moved to Germany, and today I was in Rheine. Got lost, and ended up on:

ElsaBrandstromweg.jpg.23a87f62e4670a6d025394b9f2819303.jpg

Elsa-Brändström-Weg.......