Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

warning

charlotte cardoen-descamps

I have just been informed of the fact that a rental car, used by 3 British battlefield tourists (staying in Ypres), has been burgled nearby the Irish tower in Messines this afternoon. They lost their jackets (which have been found in the meantime) but much worse than that is the loss of their pasports and cell phones. I still find it hard to believe that facts as such has happened in the Salient. I just want to warn future guests to the Salient not to leave anything valuable in their car while visiting a cemetery or memorial. On the other hand this single fact does not mean that this is a dangerous area to come to... although gone have the days during which we could believe that people are honest ...

Happy Easter to all of you,

Best wishes,

Charlotte

some good news to report... The pasports have been found as well. the only thing missing now are the cell phones. But still , it leave me with an uncomfortable feeling..

Charlotte

Thanks for the warning Charlotte. I have to say there is low life everywhere and unfortunately Belgium will be no different. As you say we must travel the battlefields without valuables if possible - what excuse is there not to have your passport and cash with you ?

Ianw is right - you could be anywhere in the world and have this happen to you if you park your car at a not-very-busy memorial and leave belongings on view.

Tom

Quite agree Tom. Like Birmingham Central Library, where many people over the last couple of years have found out!

Terrry Reeves