Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crozat/St Quentin Canal

InkyBill

Hi Pals

When studying the German spring offensives of 1918 and following the retreat of 18th Division its 54th Brigade was pushed back across the Canal at Jussy/Mennessis on 22nd/23rd March. Whilst some sources say the Crozat Canal studying modern maps of the area it's called the St Quentin Canal.

Any Ideas

Marc

Marc,

The Crozat Canal is the section of the St Quentin Canal between the River Somme and the River Oise and is south south westerly from St Quentin.

Roop

Thanks Drake & Carnin,

Looking again at the map i can now see exactly the Crozat stretch of the St Quentin Canal. It runs roughly from St Simon to Tergnier. At the moment i'm tracing the steps of man from the 11th Ryl Fusiliers KIA on 22nd March 1918 whilst defending the southern bank of the canal at the village of Jussy.

Cheers Guys, as always the help is most appreciated

Marc

Marc,

The Crozat Canal is the section of the St Quentin Canal between the River Somme and the River Oise and is south south westerly from St Quentin.

Roop

...and is named after Antoine Crozat, an 18th Century rags-to-riches banker who used his wealth to start enterprises that would benefit his fellow countrymen. This canal was one such enterprise.

There you go, this forum is an absolute goldmine of information (both useful and, in the case of my post here, useless) :lol:

Dave.

Nice one Dave,

That was probably my next question, why was it called the Crozat Canal.

Never useless, knowledge is power!!!!!!!

Marc

If you dont already have it, one of the Pals sent me (I believe) the 54th Bgde History for the battle in question - have 2 pages in jpeg that may be of interest but too big to attach here. Mail or pm me & I will send them to you, if you dont have them of course!