Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unkown grave?

Jacob

I found on the CWGC site Le Roy CHARLTON 7th Canadian Machine Gun Company who is Remember with honour at the Ypres Memorial. I would understand that he has no known grave.

I just got a copy of the circumstances of death and it just says "Killed in Action" Oct 30, 1917. It also says he is buried in Grovisional ?????????? Cemetery. I can't read the rest. Would somebody have any idea which cemetery he was buried in? His grave must have been lost after the war was over. What do you think? Thanks.

Bill White

His grave could have been lost during the war by subsequent shelling etc or the grave could not be found after the war when the cemetery came to be cleared for concentration into a larger one.

The word is probably 'Divisional'. Can you post a scan of the wording so we can try to read it?

Bill, it appears to be "Provisional Missing Memorial".

It would appear so, Bill.

Hi Bill,

If you are interested there is a photo of the portion of the Menin Gate Memorial with Private Charlton's name on it here. Just scroll down to the Images section and click on the link.

I also have a slightly larger photo. Send me a private message if you'd like that one.

marc