Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 DIVISION 12 INFANTRY BRIGADE Diary - need help deciphering the last few written words!

tashhh

Hello! I have downloaded the 12th Infantry Brigade diary from TNA, and due to the handwriting, have struggled to write a transcript for the date I want (3rd May 1917). Here is what I think is correct so far, with question marks signifying words I cannot decipher. Can anyone help me finish this off? :)

__

From 4 DIVSION 12 INFANTRY BRIGADE DIARY:

03/05/17:

Brigade moved into position for the assault by midnight 2nd/3rd May. The 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers were astride the railway and the 2nd Essex Regiment on their left. The 2nd West Riding Regiment were in rear of the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers south of the railway embankment and the 1st King’s Own north of it. (Strength of brigade – 144 officers, 344 OR’s [other ranks]).

At 3.45am, the Brigade advanced to the assault behind a ? barrage . South of the railway the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers passed through the village and the 2nd West Riding Regiment followed on behind them. These troops pushed on to the BLACK & BLUE Lines but were all surrounded and only a few men got back.

On the immediate right of the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers the CHATEAU was not captured by the next Brigade and this made movement after daylight impossible.

? of the railway the 2nd Lancashire fusiliers, King’s Own, and the last of the 2nd Essex Regiment were held up about almost at once by M.G. fire from the ? That had not been dealt with by the Heavy Artillery, especially those at the ? I12aq.3, and suffered heavy losses.

On the night the 2nd Essex Regiment captured CROOK and CROW and pushed further forward. On this night, however, the next Brigade was held up, and they were thus left ? ? their flanks in the air and the majority of the ? Casualties were captured.

By 11am the situation appeared to be that we held the ? By south of the railway except for the CHATEAU and ? One or two ? East of the ROEUX-GAURELLE ROAD, and ? We had established ? In the ? ? ? of SALABAR.  Got to page 9.

The 1st R. B. and 2 Coy of the 1st Harts. R. were sent up to trenches E. of FAMPOUX as reinforcements.

At 2pm the enemy ? Attached heavy ? 2 Bns from HAUSA WOOD but were ? Off by artillery. Orders were received in the afternoon to ? Of the situation south of railway and the 1st R. B. were ? To take over the trenches gained on the wrestern edge of the buildings in I13 from the ? Units of the Brigade, attack CHATEAU, and clean up the situation. The attack was ordered for 11pm at CORONA (12 Inf. Bde Order No 39).

The 1st R. B. took over the trenches as ordered but did not attack ‘til 3am. They failed to make any progress and withdrew to CEYLON.

The brigade captured about 70 prisoners.

Casualties were [note to read entry for the 9th of May – Officers: killed 6, wounded: 13, missing: 28. Other ranks – killed: 68, wounded: 402, missing: 621]

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Admin

Creeping barrage

North of the railway 

thus  left with their flanks in the air

the majority of them became casualties or were captured 

possibly one or two houses E of the Roeux-Gavrelle Rd 

beaten off by artillery 

• Admin

Sorry if these aren’t in the right order, I’d typed a reply but it disappeared into the ether. 

It’s Calabar I think 

Thank you, Michelle! I just could not for the life of me read that handwriting!! Much appreciated :)

• Admin

At 2 pm the enemy counter attacked heavily 

to clean up the situation 

RB were ordered to take over the trenches 

from the mixed units of the brigade

That’s the best I can do!