Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyntesfield and the First World War

Michelle Young

• Admin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memoriam-Tyntesfield-First-World-War/dp/0955445744

Following a visit to Tyntesfield, I was prompted to buy this book. It’s a bit confusing at times, as there’s so many siblings, but a good read nonetheless. Have to return to visit the house and chapel. Too busy and crowded when we went a couple of weeks ago. 

• 10 months later...

Hi Michelle, I’m currently working on a project to reinstate a battlefield cross in Abbots Leigh. The cross originally marked the grave of Lance Corporal J.W.Gittings (2594) KiA 19nJuly 1916. He was, apparently, a gardener at Tyntesfield and I’m wondering whether there is any mention of him in the book which you picked up in 2022. Thanks, Phil Curme

E014D16B-5849-4CA4-B2AD-7447D93B18DE.jpeg

• Admin

Hi Phil,

Have had a look, and he’s not mentioned.

Michelle

Thanks for looking Michelle. A local source says that Gittings lived on the estate in 'The Bothy' with four other gardeners. Does the book mention anything about the gardeners at all?

• Admin

There is an incomplete roll of honour which mentions some of the staff, but nothing specific to the gardeners. 

• Admin

There’s no war memorial in Tyntesfield chapel, I was there a couple of weeks ago. There is a memorial in Wraxall church, I think. 

• Admin

The 1911 Census confirms his address as above He was an assistant gardener/journeyman

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.56.52.png

Image courtesy of FMP

Parents named on CWGC as resident in Abbots Leigh.

You may also have seen the entry in De Ruvigny for 2595 Harwood who. at the time of his death was attached to the Gloucestershire Regiment.  Though like much of De Ruvigny it doesn't make much sense.

The mystery is perhaps why did someone from Somerset enlist in the Hertfordshire Regiment (T.F) on or around the 1st September 1914 and accompanied the main body to France on the 6th November 1914.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this soldier rather than Michelle's book review.

I know what you mean about De Ruvigny, it’s not as if Gittings was wounded and died behind the lines. From the War Diary it is clear that he was killed outright in a trench raid along with two other ORs. All three are buried together, so not sure when their bodies were recovered from the German lines, or maybe the bodies were retrieved at the time …. seems unlikely.

As for his enlistment, yes strange. He was awarded the 1914 Star so he definitely did go out in Nov as stated. Maybe he had served before, which would make sense given the TF connection.

More work to do o this one!