Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys

Maricourt

In memory of the Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys who landed on C Beach on the 9th August, 1915 and went into battle the following day at Suvla Bay led by the Quarry Manager Major Gus Wheeler.

The first casualties on the town memorial and remembered with pride and also those that also lost their lives in the following years of the Great War.  They all lie a long way from their beautiful mountain home.     Maricourt.

Heather August 2017.JPG

Thank you, Clive and also remembered all those local boys, from the area, many from Anglesey, who landed with the 53rd [Welsh] Division at Suvla.  The 10th August, the very blackest day in the Great War for this part of the country.

Anne

Ann Pedley gave a Zoom talk about the Quarry Boys last month for the Gallipoli Association.  Well worth watching.

Thank you, Ron.

Anne

:poppy: Also remembering the men of 2/4 Queens (Royal West Surrey) and 1/4 Royal Sussex. 160 Bde, 53 (Welsh) Division who went into action the same day.

58 DM.

On 09/08/2022 at 19:15, Maricourt said:

In memory of the Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys who landed on C Beach on the 9th August, 1915 and went into battle the following day at Suvla Bay led by the Quarry Manager Major Gus Wheeler.

The first casualties on the town memorial and remembered with pride and also those that also lost their lives in the following years of the Great War.  They all lie a long way from their beautiful mountain home.     Maricourt.

Anne,

Thanks very much for reminding me of the rôle of the Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys  (together with the beautiful photo) and I shall be making a point of watching your Zoom talk on YouTube. 

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian,

A late Thank You and lovely to hear from you - I hope you enjoy the talk.

Anne

It's been a long, long time Anne.

Proud to honour your favorite lads, and all the other RWF Terriers who were at Suvla.

Best wishes

G

Edited by geraint

On 09/08/2022 at 19:15, Maricourt said:

The first casualties on the town memorial and remembered with pride and also those that also lost their lives in the following years of the Great War.  They all lie a long way from their beautiful mountain home. 

Anne,

I've just watched your excellent presentation about the Pen Quarry Boys - thank you so much.

As you may have guessed I have an interest in the Terriers from Surrey and Sussex who found themselves in 53 (Welsh) Division.

The War Diary of 1/4 Sussex includes an inserted letter from an officer who states that on landing  "of course, we had no maps", sums it all up really!

The fact that the finger of failure was pointed at them makes my blood boil.

All the very best,

58 DM.

Hello 58DM,

Thank you very much for your kind words - very much appreciated as the 53rd rarely get a mention in any of the histories written about the Gallipoli campaign - slowly but surely, more information is coming to light and like yourself, I hope to provide a better balance and understanding about the part played by the 53rd.  Sir Ian Hamilton wrote an official letter pointing the blame at just about everybody but himself; Stopford, almost word for word, wrote something similar stating the same - like yourself, it makes my blood boil, too.  PM me if you would like a copy.

Very best wishes ... Anne

Hello Geraint,

Great to hear from you and kind words for The Boys!  

The blackest day for us up here in North and Mid-Wales.

Very best wishes ... Anne