Maxence Druelle

Hello 

I try to search the emplacements of the hospitals at Abbeville 

If you know where they are it will be perfect

thanks

• Admin

Bonsoir Maxence, good to see you here! 

• Admin

I was looking the the National Archives website. I typed in Abbeville. There some medical Lines of Communication papers, but whether they refer to the hospitals in Abbeville I don’t know. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Where they are-Military Hospitals Abbeville

I hope there is not too much of a language barrier.

The diaries Michelle referred to are a little complicated. WO95/4009/1 is described as Lines of communication. Abbeville Area: Assistant Director of Medical Services.

For August to December 1914 it is more accurate to say it is the dairy for the Advanced Base or Base No. 2. The advanced base moved around between Rouen & Le Mans before settling in Abbeville 13th December 1914.

The ADMS of Abbeville base is in charge of a larger area sometimes including Canaples, Le Treport, Doullens & Amiens which makes it a little difficult picking out the locations of hospitals mentioned in the diary.

The Abbeville base diary does mention visiting the (No. 3) BRC hospital 13/12/1914 but no location given. I can't see a diary for 3 BRC.

16th December 1914 they visit 5 Rue de Capuciens to use as a temporary hospital. 18th December 1914 they visit the Hotel Chariot d'Or to use as a temporary hospital.

1st January 1915 a section from No. 5 Stationary Hospital arrived and took over the house in the Rue de Capuciens. They opened this hospital 4th January 1915. There is no more mention of the Hotel Chariot d'Or so they may have not used the hotel.

This diary ends 31st March 1915 and the next one starts 18th April 1917 so there is large gap.

For April 1917 they mention No. 2 Stationary Hospital in Abbeville. This hospital arrived in Abbeville 11th August 1915.

It is apparent that the Medical Director at Abbeville discussed the locations and setting up of the hospitals with the Royal Engineers. WO95/4008/5 is Lines of communication. Abbeville Area: Commander Royal Engineers and for August 1915 they mention the stores for the new hospital on the Route De Doullens near the junction with Route d'Amiens.

In general I would suggest the CRE diaries for Abbeville.  These are typed diaires. The ADMS diaries for Abbeville are handwritten and not easy going.

The diaries for the individual hospitals may also help with locations although that's not the case for No. 2 Stationary Hospital.

Apologies for the complicated answer!

TEW