Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Andrew Berry 17799 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers which battalion

wulsten

Could anyone assist with which battalion private Andrew Berry 17799 royal inniskilling fusiliers served with, wfa pension card states he was wounded gsw served gallipoli.

2b from 25th April 1915 would this be 1st battalion 

Have been helped all day with our family details 

Edited by wulsten

Just now, charlie962 said:

The Times official Casualty list says 1st Bn

Charlie  thanks for confirming, I believe 1 inniskilling were the only battalion to land on the 25th Apr 

Medal roll BWM/VM gives 

2b.  25/5- 10/12/15

1.      22/3 - 3/7/16 

Looks to have been wounded about 1st day of Somme? 

22/3/16 fits almost with 1st Bn landing at Marseilles.

The medal roll shows 6th Bn?  Before going to MFP.

Edited by charlie962

18 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Medal roll BWM/VM gives 

2b.  25/5- 10/12/15

1.      22/3 - 3/7/16 

Looks to have been wounded about 1st day of Somme? 

22/3/16 fits almost with 1st Bn landing at Marseilles.

The medal roll shows 6th Bn?  Before going to MFP.

Right so remained with battalion after Gallipoli and wounded France around opening of the Somme, brilliant information thank you

I think his MFP no is a Sept 1919 issue, ie after discharge from RInFus in 1918?? 

Discharge 12/6/18, SWBadge.

Edited by charlie962

20 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Could there be an MoD held file with an MFP 7 digit no? 

What was his exact date of birth? 

Not quite sure only 1895, he was back in Londonderry by late 1916 we believe and married there 27th August 1917

Wulsten,

Could only find 6 births for Andrew berry in Ireland, 4 of them after 1900 so can be ruled out. I checked the other two and they are not him. I think perhaps he could be Scottish? I have found a family tree on Ancestry for Mary Ellen and Andrew (Dee Family Tree) but it doesn't give any more info on Andrew other than his marriage to Mary Ellen. However, it does go quite a bit into Mary Ellen's family so might be quite useful to you. I have attached a copy (Courtesy of Ancestry). It lists Mary Ellen as having been born on the 11th February 1888 in Govan, Glasgow which I am not sure is correct or not. It also lists Mary Ellen dying on the 17th January 1972 in Londonderry. These need to be confirmed.

George

Dee Family Tree - Ancestry (owner Elaine Dee).jpg

Thanks for this - it has added a couple of things to our records. I can give you his MFP No as P18433. The would, as already stated, have been allotted around September 1919 on his transfer from the R In Fus. Many men re-enlisted into the Military Police Corps for a 1 year engagement about this time. I can, however, confirm that he was out of the Corps by the time the new 7 digit numbers (in the MPC's case beginning with 7681001) were allotted in 1920 as he does not appear in Army Book 358.

Cheers,

Richard

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Many men re-enlisted into the Military Police Corps for a 1 year engagement

Thanks for picking this up.

If he was discharged in 1918 due to injury, how come he would be fit enough to join 1919 the MFP? His disability was enough to get him a pension. 

What might his MFP duties be? Was it linked to problems in Ireland? ( A near number svc record suggested this possibility).

Charlie 

Edit . Birth of his daughter 22/4/20 shows him as 'discharged soldier'

Edited by charlie962

2 hours ago, George Millar said:

Wulsten,

Could only find 6 births for Andrew berry in Ireland, 4 of them after 1900 so can be ruled out. I checked the other two and they are not him. I think perhaps he could be Scottish? I have found a family tree on Ancestry for Mary Ellen and Andrew (Dee Family Tree) but it doesn't give any more info on Andrew other than his marriage to Mary Ellen. However, it does go quite a bit into Mary Ellen's family so might be quite useful to you. I have attached a copy (Courtesy of Ancestry). It lists Mary Ellen as having been born on the 11th February 1888 in Govan, Glasgow which I am not sure is correct or not. It also lists Mary Ellen dying on the 17th January 1972 in Londonderry. These need to be confirmed.

George

Dee Family Tree - Ancestry (owner Elaine Dee).jpg

George, its certainly got some attention from the wife's side, think they will be great war converts soon

Having trawled through a great many Military Police service records, wounds are often found in the months before a transfer into the Corps. Depending on the severity of the wound, it could be that he may have undertaken lighter duties. The Military Police Corps played an active role in the Army of Occupation in Germany (headquartered in Cologne), but were also highly visible in the UK - including Ireland. Obviously the main role was discipline - ensuring peace with the locals and vice versa. Making sure out of bounds areas were respected. Ireland at this time saw an increase in problems between the Nationalists and the military in the struggle for independence. There were a number of instances where MPs were targeted for harassment, robbery and violence. A discharge date of April 1920 fits with him being absent from AB356.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Richard