Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills base plugs!!

Royal anglian

An excellent collection Plugstreet. Yes all original and some very rare ones, Farrar and HM particularly hard to get.

• 4 months later...

Good day everyone I was recently at a flea market and found this. I thought is was a neat find but would like to know more about this. Can someone please tell me about it. Worth? Who made it? How old is it? Any info is appreciated.

17124333542514176092885947792438.jpg

17124334373885154249703467783888.jpg

17124334619477743099822304900351.jpg

Your grenade was made by Morum & Co of London, at the Clock Tower Works in Lewisham in October 1917, so an early Mills No. 36.

Yours has the wrong type of lever, but that can be easily changed.

Nice find in good condition.

Good day everybody,
I recently got a Mills base plate from a No 5 made of aluminum. It is stamped 12/15 and has a threaded hole in the middle, like a No. 23. I have never seen anything like it.
What was the thread for at that time? Aluminum is probably not suitable for a rifle grenade.
Many thanks for the help

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

From late 1915 experiments were conducted both at Home and in France with rifle launching of Mills grenades, and various other forms of projection were also trialled. Solid brass base plugs, suitably threaded, were specified for rod experiments, but that's not to say a few aluminium ones were not tried. It is also a possibility the plug shown was used for attaching one of the extension pieces used with the alternative gun launchers.

Solid brass No.5 base plugs, typically dated 10-15 through 1-16, drilled and tapped, do turn up and often with a hole that is tapped to 5/16" true BSW - c.f. the standard rifle grenade thread of 9/32" 20 tpi BSW form.

Edited by 14276265
typo

Hello 14276265,
That is a very interesting finding! I've been a collector for a long time and have read a lot on this topic, but this is something new for me :-)
Thanks for the insight

On 07/04/2024 at 19:46, 14276265 said:

From late 1915 experiments were conducted both at Home and in France with rifle launching of Mills grenades, and various other forms of projection were also trialled. Solid brass base plugs, suitably threaded, were specified for rod experiments, but that's not to say a few aluminium ones were not tried. It is also a possibility the plug shown was used for attaching one of the extension pieces used with the alternative gun launchers.

Solid brass No.5 base plugs, typically dated 10-15 through 1-16, drilled and tapped, do turn up and often with a hole that is tapped to 5/16" true BSW - c.f. the standard rifle grenade thread of 9/32" 20 tpi BSW form.

some years back, on the construction site of new sports accomodation in the Poperinge region, a batch of these base plugs emerged.

All of them marked Morum & Co, dated 1915.
They were solid brass plugs.
As they had the means to hold a rod to form a rifle grenade, I tried to assemble some for the sake of completing some Mills examples in my former collection.

Much to my annoyance I didn't manage to get the rods screwed in, untill I found out that the tap was different than the ones usually encountered.

The batch with plugs, some 100+ was partially disposed of to local collectors before actually known that they were "not-standard"

I should check where they are, but I still have a couple dozen left in uncleaned condition...

10 hours ago, geluveld said:

All of them marked Morum & Co, dated 1915.
They were solid brass plugs.

Were these not 1916 dated? Morum produced plugs - initially steel but superseded by brass to speed delivery - from mid 1916 to early 1917 with a 5/16" BS Brass thread. By a quirk of timing the Morum plugs were initially stamped No.5, and remained so throughout manufacture, but plugs from the two other makers of this pattern were stamped No.23.

Edited by 14276265