Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crown & Anchor?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Can anyone please settle a dispute (that just started as a friendly chat!) about this favourite but 'illegal' game paid by the troops. What is it?

Ian

<_<

Guest Hill 60

Ian - I asked the same question some time back. If you do a search for Crown & Anchor you will find it.

After much help from the Pals, Jean then informs me that she has the game!

It is a dice game.

This is one of the posting to my question.

Terry_Reeves Posted: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:39:55 +0000

Major

Group: Members

Member No.: 21

The Crown and Anchor game originated in the Royal Navy but appears to have be taken up by every shark under the sun. As JoeG has said, it was illegal, which no doubt made it even more attractive. I have come across several references to it being played during off duty hours on the Western Front.

The only winner of course was the "board" owner who had patter enough to attract the hardened gambler, or more often the naive first -timer. The "board" was often a piece of cloth, marked out appropriately, which could be quickly folded and pocketed when the owner's lookouts spotted the approach of the Military Police or orderly officer.

Believe it or not it is now sold as a PC game!

As mentioned in the previous thread you can buy an inexpensive set with little mat and special die, from:

http://www.houseofmarbles.com/

It comes in a small pack called 'Shipmates' Games' which includes some other favourites of Tommy Atkins and Jack Tar.

The only winner of course was the "board" owner who had patter enough to attract the hardened gambler, or more often the naive first -timer.

I must admit to substantially increasing my "dinner money" very often , thanks to this game during my schooldays using my "lucky" set. Quite a few kids went home hungry after a quick couple of games behind the art block!! :lol:

Dave (not proud - honest!!! :lol: )

Guest stevebec

I must admit playing of this game during Sgt's Mess funtions more times then I can recall in my twenty two odd years.

But of cause we also had a large number of other games we played which I surpose were not for the faint hearted.

S.B

Guest Hill 60
I must admit to substantially increasing my "dinner money" very often

I'm in the process of learning the 'black art' of Crown and Anchor. I'm hoping to fleece my parents and girlfriend when we have a week in Ypres in November...well I do need beer money! :ph34r:

There is a good account of this racket in The Great War As I Saw It by Canon Frederick George Scott. Book is in print in paperback. He describes Alexander McClintock digging up his son's grave also described in McClintock's book.