Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard addressee

Mick M

Thanks to Ken for sorting that out! The Wardrobe (regimental museum website)  states that the 1st Garrison RBR was raised in October 1916 )as Ken has noted) and disbanded in December 1917. "They were the forerunners of the Home Guard."  Forces War Records says it was formed at Portsmouth in August 1916 and became the 14th Battalion of the Royal Defence Corps in August 1917.

From this, one might suggest that at Tidworth Wells might have been on some sort of guard duty, perhaps of the large ordnance depot there: certainly this was the role of the RDC in November 1917.

&

23 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Thanks to Ken for sorting that out! The Wardrobe (regimental museum website)  states that the 1st Garrison RBR was raised in October 1916 )as Ken has noted) and disbanded in December 1917. "They were the forerunners of the Home Guard."  Forces War Records says it was formed at Portsmouth in August 1916 and became the 14th Battalion of the Royal Defence Corps in August 1917.

From this, one might suggest that at Tidworth Wells might have been on some sort of guard duty, perhaps of the large ordnance depot there: certainly this was the role of the RDC in November 1917.

Interesting and logical assumption.....if correct do you know if Candahar camp (from where the postcard was written) could have been where he was billeted?

Mick.

Pedantically, "barracks," not camp. Given that he's addressed the card as being from "Candahar", it's likely that's where he was accommodated. Candahar was one of eight barrack blocks named after Indian and Afghan campaigns and not the nearest to the Ordnance - if that's what Wells guarded. But there might have been only a relatively few men from the 1st Garrison Battalion RBR based at Tidworth (and I wonder if such a battalion would have had that many men anyway) and they would have been squeezed in anywhere.

(Recently Candahar Barracks have been occupied by the 10 Army Education Centre Group.)

17 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Pedantically, "barracks," not camp. Given that he's addressed the card as being from "Candahar", it's likely that's where he was accommodated. Candahar was one of eight barrack blocks named after Indian and Afghan campaigns and not the nearest to the Ordnance - if that's what Wells guarded. But there might have been only a relatively few men from the 1st Garrison Battalion RBR based at Tidworth (and I wonder if such a battalion would have had that many men anyway) and they would have been squeezed in anywhere.

(Recently Candahar Barracks have been occupied by the 10 Army Education Centre Group.)

Thanks what little I found about Candahar, the fact it a barracks rather than a camp probably leans towards your theory. There was also a  hospital in that complex which i was also thinking of due to his medical condition, but on balance i think your right....

Mick.

4 hours ago, Mick M said:

Quote the postcard is dated in 1916.

Yes.

But Moonraker raised a valid point that the date could have been 1918.

We can agree now that 1916 is correct.

10 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes.

But Moonraker raised a valid point that the date could have been 1918.

We can agree now that 1916 is correct.

Having the card here was an advantage I suppose, but it's good people throw alternatives forward there are always different perspectives....

Mick.