Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bunker in Dadizele British CWGC Cemetery

Ian Riley

Can any one advise, please? I have just returned from Dadizele British Cemetery (CWGC) east of Ypres and Beselare. At the top of the cemetery by the pavilion/shelter is a German bunker of square profile about 2.5 metres (possibly 3 metres) high with  a foot print about 5 metre or six metres by the same. There are two entrance/exits on in the rear wall at each corner, and a couple of small squarish  apertures quite high up. Between these entrances (now bricked up) a set of about six or eights steps cast in concrete run up parallel to the rear wall leading to a narrow platform also running  parallel to the rea wall,  about a metre below the top. This staircase and platform both abut immediately onto the rear wall and project about 60 cm.. There seem to be no apertures or loop holes (blocked or otherwise) on the east and north walls walls. I did not go round the fourth face. Didn't stay too long as I was being driven by a friend with a schedule but wondered what the purpose might be. A command bunker with lamp signalling apertures to the rear? An aid post?  Apologies for not taking a photo and I have combed the net for information to no avail and have left my Pillboxes of the Western Front  at home. This has resulted in animated discussion here.

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley
Further information, punctuation and politeness

Do you have photos?

Hello,

It's an Einheitsunterstand from a defensive line built in the winter 1917/18. For more info about this kind of bunkers, see my book "Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918. Trenches, Shelters & Bunkers of the German Army".

Jan

Look here, there may be the one you are looking for.    

Lankhof Farm Demarcation Stone & Bunkers | With the British Army in Flanders & France (thebignote.com)

Edited by le ulhan

As Jan says above, it is of a standard pattern: there are still quite a few in the surrounding area, all very similar. And quite solid. If you drive around the area you should spot some.

Le ulhan, the link you posted doesn't seem to be related to the question about Dadizeele.

Whoever wrote the information on Lankhof Farm bunkers, it would have been nice - and polite - if they had mentioned that all the information, and the elephant steel drawing, was taken directly from "Armageddon's Walls"and acknowledged the source.

Peter

Peter,  If he is looking for the identification of a bunker, he has a choice, the internet is not lacking in information, on my posted link there are several types of bunker, they are not all listed but with a little luck he would find one photo or a model similar to the one he saw in this cemetery.

Which goes to show, if you need information do not use one of the blogs on the internet. Lankhof can not be of any information whatsoever for Dadizeele. For more accurate information, either consult one of the properly researched books mentioned above, or go to primary sources.

This forum is a wealth of help and information, but forget those "expert" guides and bloggers.

Peter

The books are no longer reliable information, you have to consult the real experts, those who have made statements, found the plans, the English, Belgian and German military archives, with the help of its archives, we still find casemates and other things, disappeared for years, something that was done in Normandy in 2008, I was there, in the Somme, French historians, the real ones, used drones to identify the "trenched" positions what we do not see the drone see this by aerial photos, change of color of the ground, relief for example in the fields, modern archeology and become more than a science, blockhouses, bunker or casemate are everywhere present in flanders, Ypres, Passenteal, Menin, Mesine, Diksmuide etc...., the one who writes a book notes what he sees but not what is underground.

2 hours ago, le ulhan said:

The books are no longer reliable information, you have to consult the real experts, those who have made statements, found the plans, the English, Belgian and German military archives, with the help of its archives, we still find casemates and other things, disappeared for years, something that was done in Normandy in 2008, I was there, in the Somme, French historians, the real ones, used drones to identify the "trenched" positions what we do not see the drone see this by aerial photos, change of color of the ground, relief for example in the fields, modern archeology and become more than a science, blockhouses, bunker or casemate are everywhere present in flanders, Ypres, Passenteal, Menin, Mesine, Diksmuide etc...., the one who writes a book notes what he sees but not what is underground.

Eum? If you would have looked at my book, you would find the relevant information...

I think you've gone a little off-piste. 

The original question was about the bunker in Dadizeele.

Both the books mentioned - Defending the Ypres Front and Pill Boxes on the Western Front - contain documented archival information, with plans, on this, from primary sources.

'Bye

Peter

Don't you try to identify a blokaus located in a cemetery!!! or nearby??? already it would have been useful to take pictures, you say you didn't have your digital with you, but didn't you have an i'phone, as I wrote, there are hundreds of bunkers in this region, when I'm going there, it's the first thing I take with me....

Have you read the ones I have!! it's only a book, it gives you information and often not the ones you are looking for, you want information, nothing like consulting the archives it's easy and free, the Ypres tourist office and there to advise you where to go!! , simple question ((( I noticed during my visit a bunker at such a place, could you tell me about it)))

@le ulhan I appreciate tour enthousiasm as a new member of this forum, but please hold back from commenting when you are not sure what you are talking about. 

This is the bunker which was originally mentioned: https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/erfgoedobjecten/216973

As I mentioned before, my book has a plan and more explanation about this kind of construction. Do not generalize about how all books are worthless as both mebu (Peter Oldham) and I (Jan Vancoillie) have written very well researched publications.

I recommend you start doing some serious reading.

Maybe your books are not bad, I don't know, if now the bunker in question is mentioned there, why not explain it and show a picture to our friend who is doing a search!!!

Edited by le ulhan

• Admin

Why have you reverted to French?

We were all a new member one day, that doesn't mean we know anything about it, I've been on other English and German forums, there too was when I was a new member, the current was hard to pass between the two of us I think., you have already insisted on ""new member"" several times, one day you were too!!

Edited by le ulhan

Michelle Young ,Excuse me, bad manipulation with my computer.

!

Thanks to all of those responding. I have now an initial steer on this (in several directions it might seem) and will absorb the detailed information very kindly provided when I get back to the UK Unfortunately I did not catch a photo of the bunker. Several photos from links seem very similar. Apologies for my brief acknowledgement - I am following a separate project whilst out here so time is quite short (and additionally reconnecting with Belgian friends I have not seen for three years!),  I look forward to exploring these clearly knowledgeable replies next week