Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jeremiah Sullivan

Sullivan

Greetings from Brisbane Australia.

Can any Forum member advise if there is an online list besides the CWGC and Campaign Medals list, that would help me identify the soldier named under to his next of kin, to date I have drawn a blank, as there is no on-line search at the National Archives I am at a loss as to my next move.

Private J SULLIVAN, 303008

Served With:                1st/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Died:                           27th November 1917

Commemorated:           LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen

Belgium

Plot XXVI. Row A.  Grave 12.

The Campaign Medal Roll identifies his first name as Jeremiah -

Description Medal card of Sullivan, Jeremiah

Corps Regiment                         No                 Rank

West Riding Regiment         303008             Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/19 

To identify this is the correct Jeremiah, the other clue I have are parents and wife.

Parents: Thomas Sullivan and Bridget Harrington.

DOB: Jeremiah was born in Tralee 2nd May 1882.

Married: Jeremiah married Julia Sullivan 25th April 1903 in Tralee, Couty Kerry, Ireland.

Any assistance appreciated.

James O'Sullivan.

Hi James,

A fellow Brisvegas dweller here.

I have looked at Soldiers Died in the Great War and this Jeremiah Sullivan is listed as enlisting in Halifax. There are no birth place details listed I am afraid.

There are six Jeremiah Sullivans listed as died. There is only one Jeremiah Sullivan born in Ireland and his according to CWGC his parents were Humphrey and Mary so that is him ruled out. Are you sure he died in the war?

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim,

I am a Forest Lake dweller. Many thanks for reply.

The CWGC provided me with this particular record, I am curious, how were you able to determine he enlisted at Halifax.

There is a story that he came to England from Ireland at about age of 18-19, so he could have enlisted in England. He is a bit of a mystery, story goes he was supposed to collect an award for saving an Officer's life in the field under fire. He wrote a postcard home dated mid 1916 saying he would be home to receive a medal, and probably get some leave but that's the last that was heard from him. As far as I know he was killed in action, a family member recalls a memorial plaque to Jeremiah, no doubt the "Dead Man's Penny" being in the care of someone in Ireland.

Cheers,

James.

James,

One of these may be your man providing the birth date given is correct.

Jeremiah Sullivan 18 Ireland Sark Ord

Jeremiah Sullivan 19 Ireland Surrey Bermondsey Porter G P O

Jeremiah Sullivan 20 Ireland London St Pancras General Labourer

These can be found by searching the 1901 Census using name and age range.

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Hope this helps.

Roop

Hi James,

I am on the North side at Albany Creek.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War was a list, published via regiment, of all those died in the war. It is now available on CD. The entries generally advise full name, number regiment; date and theatre of death; place of birth, enlistment and residence. Sometimes details of service in other regiments and awards are mentioned. There is no place of birth and place of residence listed for him I am afraid. The only place mentioned in enlistment at Halifax. He is listed as Died of Wounds. How did you narrow him down to this man?

Rgds

Tim

James/Tim,

The Sullivan who enlisted in Halifax is most probably not your man.

There is a Sullivan family living in Halifax in 1901 but were listed as born Ormskirk and Manchester.

Many Sullivans are listed as born Ireland but are unlikely to show next of kin info as they have all left home.

Roop