Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank feature

GRANVILLE

Can anyone confirm what the box-like structure is beneath the sponson door? I'm thinking its a fold down step but have nothing to verify. This is the Meng 1/35th Mk V tank which I am using as reference for a much larger model.

David  

20220728_200437.jpg

If it is a foldout step, and it opens with the door as it appears, it's gonna leave the crewman with a tricky sideways swing to get in!

Unless, of course, it's just a cover for one attached to the sponson rear.

The AWM site has a photo of a knocked out Mk.V, but the sponson door and hinges have gone (speculatively perhaps to make a trench loophole), and there ain't nuffin' where the  boxy feature would've covered.

Try the Tank Museum - they ought to know.

Edited by MikB

I'm reliably informed by Craig Moore (Tank Hunter) that what it is is a storage bin for spent shell cases. There is a gap below the door and as a round was fired, the shell case was slipped through the gap and it fell into the bin.

David

On 29/07/2022 at 20:24, GRANVILLE said:

I'm reliably informed by Craig Moore (Tank Hunter) that what it is is a storage bin for spent shell cases. There is a gap below the door and as a round was fired, the shell case was slipped through the gap and it fell into the bin.

David

The Mk.V in the AWM photo shows the doorway extending nearly to the bottom of the door. The 6 pr. case was a foot long. Would the narrower bottom of the boxy feature have accommodated that, and if it would, could the bin hold more than half-a-dozen or so cases when the tank carried over 200 rounds? Might it have rather have been a cover for a chuckout slot?

On 31/07/2022 at 09:59, MikB said:

The Mk.V in the AWM photo shows the doorway extending nearly to the bottom of the door. The 6 pr. case was a foot long. Would the narrower bottom of the boxy feature have accommodated that, and if it would, could the bin hold more than half-a-dozen or so cases when the tank carried over 200 rounds? Might it have rather have been a cover for a chuckout slot?

I think this is a valid point and I've been back to the message I got from Craig. In fairness to him, he didn't actually describe the feature as a storage box etc - I rather assumed that - on the model is is molded as a solid box. However, I agree, it could hardly hold more than 6-7 shell cases and I too think it is simply a cover for a a chuck-out slot as suggested.

David