Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"From canvas camps to town billets" in UK, 1918

Moonraker

Browsing the Ogilby Muster, I came across this letter (at left) of October 3, 1918 referring to troops going "from canvas camps to town billets" - which surprised me a little. It's the sort of reference I would have expected to see four years earlier when there was an acute shortage of huts leading to troops, many of them recruits, being billeted in towns during the winter. By 1918 the situation had much improved. All I can think is that tents provided overflow accommodation in the summer (and I've seen several wartime postcards showing this) and that the army had learnt enough to realise that living under canvas should be avoided.

Has anyone come across references to significant billeting in the UK in late 1918?

(The letter on the right-hand page may also be of interest, with a major wanting Larkhill Cinema improved for church services during the winter. I was going to ask what "S.C.F" stood for, but I Googled: "Senior Chaplain to the Forces".

• 1 month later...

I have this.

11046690_1581672682100942_7664275550667406959_o.jpg.2d4463e7194c6f102b0e78e162cb28fd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hopeless at adding pictures but the Kinmel Camp in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire consisted of five amalgamated permanent camps consisting of  Nissan huts and wood and tin sheet roofed barrack buildings - Tin Town- some of which are still in situ today. These permanent camps held about 5000 troops -especially made famous during the 1919 Canadian Riots. 

The camp stretches down about a mile and a half northwards to Penmorfa on the coast with Rhyl nearby. Morfa means salt flats.  This whole area was coivered with avenues of bell tents similar to the ones pictured by you and could accommodate another 5000 on a temporary basis. All gone by today.