Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"How Dear is Life" by Henry Williamson: look-up, please

Moonraker

Has anyone got a copy of Henry Williamson's How Dear is Life? Apparently there are three references (probably passing ones) to Salisbury Plain An on-line index says that these are on pp58, 96 and 97, though I think these may relate to Williamson's original typescript.

The background is that I'm re-reading his The Patriot's Progress, drawn on his own experiences and describing those of his fictional John Bullock, who trains at a camp that is evidently Fovant from the references to the regimental badges carved in the nearby hillside. (This is placed on "the Great [Salisbury] Plain", though pedantically Fovant, to the west of Salisbury, isn't on the Plain.) Williamson didn't train there (though the 3rd line of his 5th London Rifle Brigade did, in 1916, by when he was a member of the Machine Gun Training Centre at Grantham). He refers to food waste at the camp, perhaps drawing details from coverage in the national press.

Ever keen on minutiae about military Wiltshire, I'm curious as to what the references are to Salisbury Plain in How Dear is Life.

Henry Williamson has featured in the GWF before, and I'll take this opportunity of reminding members of the excellent  https://www.henrywilliamson.co.uk/, which includes details of his WWI activities.

My Googling brought me to https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1935/02/a-night-on-salisbury-plain/652421/ in which Williamson camps in his car near the remains of Stonehenge Aerodrome and reflects on the men who served on Salisbury Plain.

Edited by Moonraker

• Admin

I can do this, maybe not tonight, will try on Sunday. If I forget please remind me. 

Thanks, Michelle. Hope you don't have to flick through too many pages to spot "Salisbury Plain"!

• Admin

They don’t relate to the war, they relate to a cycling trip, and a train journey both pre war.