Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting Euros for a Visit to France

The Scorer

I'm making my first battlefield tour for a few years at the end of next month, and I'd appreciate some advice on the best way of getting Euros.

I used to get them through my UK bank (NatWest) before travelling and then returned or retained them, depending on the amount, when I got home. However, as it's a few years since I travelled, I'm out of touch with the current position. I remember seeing some comments in the past that it's better to take some with me and get the rest in France via a cashpoint, although I've never done this.

I'm inclined to do what I always have done, but I'm open to change if it's easier and better. What do people think, please? 

Thanks. 

been a couple of years but we still have a few in a seperate purse, useful for the tolls (we still have a tag thats live).

that said, have  a look on ebay, there used to be a few offerings there.

search euros holiday money.

otherwise we used our local travel agent , certain times of the week they had offers on.

• Admin

Got my last lot from the Post Office online. They were delivered the next day. I tend to use my credit card mainly these days, especially for petrol. 

The Chase Bank app-only account usually tops the best buy tables for overseas use. It comes with a debit card, cashback and interest on credit balances of 1.5%.

Thanks, but you have to open an account, don't you? Rightly or wrongly, I'm happy with NatWest, and I don't really want to change. 

You could look into Revolut, or similar.

You get an account with a debit card and you top it up in £.

When you withdraw at a foreign cash point, you basically pay the exact exchange rate at that moment . They take a very small fraction of 1%, unlike your bank which will 1) give you a lousy exchange rate, 2) charge a hefty commission and 3) add a foreign exchange transaction fee on top.

You can also send money abroad yourself into foreign currency accounts, again far more competitive than your local bank.

Maybe too late for your trip, but worth thinking about.

I usually get mine from the Post Office. Personally, I would not rely on getting cash from a cash machine abroad, especially if you are touring the battlefields, where cash machines tend to be few and far between.

Ron

4 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I'm happy with NatWest, and I don't really want to change.

You don't need to.

Neither do you need to line their pockets.

17 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Thanks, but you have to open an account, don't you? Rightly or wrongly, I'm happy with NatWest, and I don't really want to change. 

You do  but you don't have to use it as a current account. I just regard it as a savings account (1.5%) that comes with a card and cashback plus it's good for overseas use.

I get my euro's beforehand, so i dont need to use a cash machine aboard.  I normally top up with what i have got left.  i either get my euros from a travel shop or the post office, also i have invested in a pre paid as some of the shops in used in March, would not take cash from a foreigner 

Spoiler

we both have NatWest accounts and never had a problem in Carrefour, Lidl, Aldi, LeClerc or self serve petrol stations, the conversion rate appeared on the statement and no charges incurred. We do also have a Credit Agricole account for €4.95 a month which has not been used for over 2 years but still costs the monthly charge. I mentioned ebay as an option for the change as many high streets dont stock a lot without ordering. We also have a Post Office euro card but have not used it.

• Admin

I don’t use an ATM, I just use the Mastercard to pay for petrol and food shopping. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

I don’t use an ATM, I just use the Mastercard to pay for petrol and food shopping. 

Me too. I get a stock of euros from the post office and pay almost everything larger than a few euros with my cards. We had absolutely no problems using cards in the Netherlands, Germany and Alsace last month. It was just like the UK - one  effect of the pandemic is that most places expect customers to pay for everything with a card, but cash was also welcome.  The fact that we are foreigners didn't come into anything. I'm not sure they either knew or cared. Money is money.

I do carry more than one card, just in case a card system fails.

We use a Halifax Clarity Card (credit card).  Extremely good rates and no fees.  We use very little cash.  No problems (so far) and also have a Credit Agricole debit card as backup.

Revolut is really good, some of the best exchange rates, low commison, and you get load sterling on you card and set it to warn you or trasnfer when the rate gets to a value you want.

17 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You could look into Revolut, or similar.

You get an account with a debit card and you top it up in £.

When you withdraw at a foreign cash point, you basically pay the exact exchange rate at that moment . They take a very small fraction of 1%, unlike your bank which will 1) give you a lousy exchange rate, 2) charge a hefty commission and 3) add a foreign exchange transaction fee on top.

You can also send money abroad yourself into foreign currency accounts, again far more competitive than your local bank.

Maybe too late for your trip, but worth thinking about.

Ever since money machines came in I have made a point of not drawing out £ over here, but waiting until I get to Britain, using £left over from last time on the ferry, and taking it out of a cash machine. You get a better rate, and only transaction charges.

Keep what is left over for the next trip.

What I would keep an eye on when using your card is that sometimes you're offered the option of paying in euros or paying an immediate conversion into pounds. In my opinion you should always pay in the local currency, but do google for informed advice.

FWIW I was in NL, DE and FR for three weeks last month and my total transaction fees came to £19 using my debit card from a well known UK high street bank. I'm not going to spend hours working out whether I could have done it cheaper. (Consider costing your own time in doing so.) For example, buying 30€ of fish at a fishmonger in Alsace (for several self catering meals) with my debit card cost 76p. 

• 1 month later...

When we purchased a second home in France, we upgraded our ordinary Nat West account to the Black Account paying £250 ish a year. It gave us free travel insurance and allowed us to use the bank card for all purchases without paying commission. It was certainly well worth the cost - seven/eight return journeys travel insurance alone would have cost far more.  For cash, we used a Travel-Ex pre-paid card which could be used at all cashpoints at a lower rate of interest than high street bank charges.

We are now permanent residents here, and the travel insurance is invalid. But we still kept the account because card purchases are still commission free. We now have a French bank account as well, and all direct debits are taken from there, as well as cash withdrawals.

I hope that your tour went well, and I'm aware that the points above ar too late in this case. The Travel-Ex option may be of interest to you the next time!

I don't understand what the problem could possibly be with using a British credit card or even Bank card (as long as it has the Euro logo on it). I have been using both British cards and Luxembourg, and now French cards as well, in ATMs since they first made an appearance.

I have never had any trouble at all.

On two occasions I have had an argument in a restaurant (can't remember where) because they wouldn't accept a credit card (VISA) that wasn't from their country. They said it cost them money to process the payment - which is a load of tripe.

Normally, when I travel to Britain I take any money - notes and coins -that are left from last time, and then take money out of an ATM in Britain. I do the same right across the eurozone, and even did the same in both Singapore and Bali when I was there a few years ago. No trouble at all.