Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Memorials Unveiled. Then and Now.

RitchiebytheC

Hi folks, its been a while since I've been on, but after a recent trip to Liverpool, I was asked by my good friend @Fattyowls to post this picture on the GWF.

It is an overlay of the unveiling of Girvan War Memorial on October 22nd 1922 and the scene as it is now.

With many WM`s having anniversaries, I thought that this might be an interesting thread to put on to see if anyone else has done anything similar.

Kindest regards to all..

RitchiebytheC

6. 1922 and Now..jpg

Loving this one Mr C.

F. Owls.

Interesting thread and by coincidence it is 100 years this Friday (22nd) that the civic memorial was unveiled here in Ilkley. It records on panels the names of 182 men from the town who gave their lives in WW1. When I did the research for these men I came across another 60 men and women from the town who were killed and are named on various other memorials.

The Ilkley memorial is set in its own spacious landscaped grounds and now includes a memorial to the dead of WW2 and two pavilions which were provided for ex-servicemen. There is also an unusual ‘Verdun Tree’ which was grown from a chestnut recovered from the battlefield in France.

Harold Broadbent Maufe VC, who lived in Ilkley, unveiled the memorial in 1922 and he has the unusual distinction of having won the award in 1917 but lost his life on active service in WW2.

The local newspaper, the ‘Ilkley Gazette’ is publishing an article tomorrow which I have written to coincide with the memorials anniversary.

ilkley war memorial.jpg

20 hours ago, Interested said:

Hi Richie (by the sea)...

It might be worthwhile posting both pictures on the War Memorials Online website here:

Girvan (warmemorialsonline.org.uk)

They don't appear to have the original unveiling picture.

Thanks for that, I have added them on along with a copy of the original programme from the unveiling.

We have researched over 600 local men from the area as the Girvan and District Great War Project and it is amazing where they turn up on other memorials. We have one on the Board of Trade Roll of Honour in Westminster along with one on the Grand Lodge Roll of Honour.

Interesting about the Verdun Chestnut tree...a nice touch..

Regards

Ritchie.

1. WM Front Cover.jpg

2. WM Inside Front.jpg

3. WM Inside Back.jpg

4. WM Back  .jpg

I see you've filled out much more detail on the Memorials Online website.  Well done.

I can't even find a newspaper report for the dedication our local memorial, and it has been moved to a new location twice to my knowledge.

On 22/07/2022 at 09:07, Interested said:

I see you've filled out much more detail on the Memorials Online website.  Well done.

I can't even find a newspaper report for the dedication our local memorial, and it has been moved to a new location twice to my knowledge.

Here are snippets from the Shipley Times dated 28th July 1922, If they are of any help to you..

Cheers

Ritchie

1. Ilkey WM 1.JPG

2. Ikley WM 2.JPG

3. Ilkley WM 3.JPG

4. Ilkley WM4.JPG

5.Ilkley WM 5.JPG

2 hours ago, RitchiebytheC said:

Here are snippets from the Shipley Times dated 28th July 1922, If they are of any help to you..

Thanks for the article from the Shipley Express it has plenty of detail about the unveiling of the memorial. Here is the article which I wrote for the Ilkley Gazette this week along with some photographs from my own collection showing the opening of the memorial.

https://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/20278843.century-remembrance-ilkleys-war-memorial/

and here is the blog page which details the names of the men and women from Ilkley who gave their lives during WW1

http://ilkleyremembers.blogspot.com/

Regards

I R

Edited by ilkley remembers