Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armagh Wood

Jonh

Not sure if this is any help ... and it is only an assumption BUT

for what it's worth ...

Armagh Wood could conceivably have been named as such by men from the Royal Irish Fusiliers which did a lot of its recruiting in Co. Armagh.

Best wishes with your research.

Des

Not sure if this is any help ... and it is only an assumption BUT

for what it's worth ...

Armagh Wood could conceivably have been named as such by men from the Royal Irish Fusiliers which did a lot of its recruiting in Co. Armagh.

Best wishes with your research.

Des

Thanks for that Des, I have just been reading up on my notes and the trench positions where he was killed are actully in Sanctuary Wood and the Armagh dugouts and Mount Sorrell are very close by.

Does this help ?

The name of the horizontal road (where you see Valley Cottage) now is "Zandvoordsestraat".

The road leading north from it goes to Maple Copse Cemetery.

I have problems with the road leading south into Armagh Wood. On my modern IGN map (2001) it's not there. However on another Ypres area map, there is a road indeed (but not named !). Maybe it's a track on private property ?

Aurel

post-92-1111756514.jpg

And this is the 2001 IGN map fragment. Which shows a larger area than the map in my previous posting.

The road near the northern side is the Menin Road. (With "Hoge")

The "Zandvoordsestraat" I mentioned in my previous posting leads east from the centre of Zillebeke.

Near the south side of the fragment you see Hill 60.

Aurel

post-92-1111756713.jpg

Thanks Aurel

This is excellent, now if I my map orientation is correct A should be The Zandvoordsestraat B could be the missing track going south to Armagh Wood and C should be the positions around Mount Sorrell and if so the trench positions will just be north of the number 50 on map 1.

post-6356-1111761011.jpg

post-6356-1111761094.jpg

Yes, A = Zandvoordestraat.

As to B, I'd say the original track is a little more east than your B. Let's say between your B and the beginning of the street leading north to Maple Copse. Where the thicker elevation line crosses the Zandvoordestraat. (That's the 50 m line. The intervals between lines being 5 meters. So the top of Mount Sorrel is 60 meters.)

It seems to me the track you marked with B is a post war track.

Again : I have no idea is the original track leading to Armagh Wood on the 1916 map still exists.

I may have a few more elementary maps of the area, but they all date June 1916, and I see R. Adamson fell in February 1916.

Aurel