Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lives of the First World War - O Dear!

rolt968

I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.   I looked at what I think is meant to be the entry for a man I am researching. Alas who ever made the entry has confused him with another man with the same name. (No names no pack drill.)

RM

That will be very common. It was crowdsourced, and has those strengths and weaknesses.

If you can cross-reference back to primary sources, it is good that the crowdsourcer in question has been following the source-based philosophy that was encouraged. If there's no source-based attribution, then take it with a pinch of salt.

In that regard I don't see it as any different to wikipedia, which is much maligned, but is merely a repository of source data that may or may not have been sourced properly, it depends on a case-by-case basis.

Yeah....Lives of the First World War has so much potential, both positive and (alas) negative.  

To accentuate the positive, I did have a major success on there finding an observer, Allen Ball, who flew with one of my relatives.  His first name was mis-spelled as Allan on the entry but it was definitely the right man because the entry included a rather splendid portrait of him, which tallies with 2 photos from my relative's collection.  

You win some, you lose some.  

2 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

Yeah....Lives of the First World War has so much potential, both positive and (alas) negative.  

To accentuate the positive, I did have a major success on there finding an observer, Allen Ball, who flew with one of my relatives.  His first name was mis-spelled as Allan on the entry but it was definitely the right man because the entry included a rather splendid portrait of him, which tallies with 2 photos from my relative's collection.  

You win some, you lose some.  

I agree. To be positive, although I had expected this, Having visited the site many times it's the first time it has happened.

Another positive; it made me go back and check my sources.

RM

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

I agree. To be positive, although I had expected this, Having visited the site many times it's the first time it has happened.

Another positive; it made me go back and check my sources.

RM

Yep...done that dozens of times on FamilySearch...."Did I really get that so badly wrong?"  Spend a few hours fumbling through the records before "Nope, I was right.  The other person's wrong." :)

Edited by Buffnut453