The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Research into No. 2 Sec. 4th D.A.C. R.F.A.

JRB9019

Hello, I'm researching my grandfather (date of birth was 1898), and I came across this entry in the absent voters register: 

Gunner:  No. 2 Sec. 4th D.A.C. R.F.A.,

Sadly, even though the Register listed my Grandfather's Army number, I cannot find any records anywhere (presumably as his was one of the lost records). Can it be confirmed anywhere that I do at least have the correct Army number? 

I believe that No. 2 Sec. 4th D.A.C. R.F.A. meant Number 2 section, 4th Divisional Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery

Is this correct and is there a way of at least finding out where he / his section would have served?

Many thanks

Welcome to the Forum,

No. 2 Section, 4th Divisional Ammunition Column is correct. Your next mission is to find a Medal Index Card via The National Archives or Ancestry - both should be free to download if you register. Put in surname and number and see if anything turns up. If born in 1898 he would more likely be joining in 1916 or later unless he lied about his age. I can tell from most numbers when enlistment might have been and where they joined the RFA.

The War Diary giving the movements of the 4th DAC is here - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352129

Edited by David Porter

Many thanks David

Re. his number? it was 174907 (well, according to the Absent Voters Register anyway)!

But I've just come across a problem. As you suggested, I searched on the National Archive for 174907 Gunner and found a service record with that number and role ...... but of a totally different person and regiment, 

So, if the Absent Voters Register is incorrect then I have no chance if there are no other listings available under his name........

Any comments?

As Jay says, there is John Bannister RFA and there is also Herbert Sammons RGA and it is the latter who has a service record. 

With the vast numbers of gunners who served, RFA may have used that number series twice and RGA used it once so plenty of scope for confusion.

Edited by charlie962

2 hours ago, JRB9019 said:

So, if the Absent Voters Register is incorrect then I have no chance if there are no other listings available under his name........

Any comments?

What is his name? If the wrong number is attributed in the AVL then the good people of the Forum can possibly find the correct one. Also, can you give us a glimpse of the actual record you have found giving his address (which I assume you know is correct). All clues are helpful, thanks.  

David, His name was John Bannister. He was known as Jack but I guess his records will show John.

As mentioned, the source was the Absent Voters Register of Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

In the record he was listed as Bannister John junior (John being his, his grandfather's and his great-grandfather's for that matter!)

And yes, the address on the record (Fair View, Mill Road, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire) is certainly correct - I've been there to see my Great-grandfather when he was alive!

Regards

John

5 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

John Bannister?

Indeed Jay

So you have the correct regimental number in the AVL along with the correct name and address. Finding actual records is more difficult, apart from the Medal Index Rolls and Cards which will just tell you his entitlement. You know he was in Section 2 of the 4th DAC so served in France. The big questions are; When did he join the 4th DAC and did he serve with any other unit. As a large percentage of service records were destroyed in the WW2 bombing there might be little to go on. I can tell that 174907 was issued at No.1 Reserve Brigade (T.F.), Ripon, towards the end of September 1916.