Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Total victories of each Squadron on the Western Front

Perth Digger

Is it possible to find, in print, lists of all victories won by each RFC/RAF squadron during the war? I don't mean just lists of the aces' victories, but lists including those who had 1 to 4 victories too. In order to tabulate, say, 70 Squadron's victories in toto, would I need to access the squadron's records at TNA?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

The simple answer is 'no', there is no single source for the information you want.

In the database of claims that I have put together over the last 40-odd years, I have listed a total of 278 claims submitted by No 70 Squadron that were seemingly 'allowed' by higher command, 19 of these on the Sopwith 1½ Strutter and the rest on Camels.  Each entry shows the date, time and location of the combat, the crew of the machine, aeroplane serial number (where it has been possible to locate this), the result of the combat (out of control, in flames, crashed, etc) and my thoughts on the potential enemy crew.

In a series of posts called '100 years ago today' on another forum, I posted details of claims made by each RFC etc squadron on the Western Front; I am currently updating the data I used to show full names.

Graeme

Mike, you'll find Graeme's day-by-day coverage an excellent source of information, e.g. in many cases there's detail from the combat reports or casualty cards, i.e. what's not in the RFC/RNAS/RAF communiqués.

Some attempts were made  in wartime - see example below from AIR 1/109/15/15 - but these were estimates, and didn't purport to be a reconciliation of squadron combat reports with wing or brigade war diaries. A ballpark figure of 5,000 aerial victories in 1918 is not unreasonable, however, with c. 4,000 on the Western Front. I recall a figure of about 2/3rd that size for 1917. 

1105366462_Kew018.JPG.f5538e66020b4e47cf3716bc1e18dcd0.JPG

Hi Graeme

Yes, I've read and downloaded many of your excellent 100 Years Ago pieces. I'll push forward with that task.

I'm surprised at how few accepted claims there were when the squadron was flying Strutters (just over a year), compared with their losses (even if one leaves out March 1917). 

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Thanks, Airshipped. A very interesting document.

Mike