Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting transfer records

EmmaS

Good evening, I wondered if anyone might be able to help me with the attached transfer records of my great uncle.

They are the first I've found for relatives and I am having difficulty interpreting abbreviations.

With thanks

Emma

GBM_WO363-4_007270166_00935.jpg

GBM_WO363-4_007270166_00936.jpg

10 minutes ago, EmmaS said:

They are the first I've found for relatives and I am having difficulty interpreting abbreviations.

Which abbreviations in particular.

Craig

Lots of paid and unpaid promotions e.g. Apptd [Appointed] Actg.[Acting] L/c[lance corporal.

Then 'Vice' [instead of] (Bates, Marshall, O'Donnell are named, presumably absent wounded, ill or on leave).

In accdnce [in accordance with] ACI 288 of 1917 [Army Council Instruction No.288 of 1917] (Just padding to show under which rule hus move had been made)

Note that the date an event occurred is in the right hand date column, not the one on the left as we do it today. The left date column was tge date the event was written up, maybe days, weeks or even months later. Everything in the right hand 'Remarks' column can be ignored.

FA = Field Ambulance

IBD = Infantry Base Depot

See if you can figure out the rest...

20 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Lots of paid and unpaid promotions e.g. Apptd [Appointed] Actg.[Acting] L/c[lance corporal.

Then 'Vice' [instead of] (Bates, Marshall, O'Donnell are named, presumably absent wounded, ill or on leave).

In accdnce [in accordance with] ACI 288 of 1917 [Army Council Instruction No.288 of 1917] (Just padding to show under which rule hus move had been made)

Note that the date an event occurred is in the right hand date column, not the one on the left as we do it today. The left date column was tge date the event was written up, maybe days, weeks or even months later. Everything in the right hand 'Remarks' column can be ignored.

FA = Field Ambulance

IBD = Infantry Base Depot

See if you can figure out the rest...

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.  So, where someone else is named, that's who he was filling in for.  Do the values in the final remarks column refer to documents that are potentially available elsewhere and contain additional information?

I'm struggling to read the detail of the entry on 5/6/28 regarding his hospital admission.  There's an NYD and MAL R and some wording in brackets?  Also, the entries in Nov 18 include the abbrev. CON D and in Mar 19 - 4th RB - what would these be?  Finally, in the 28/3/19 entry - To Base for Demob., there's some wording below in brackets and I can't work out what they say.

Many thanks for your help, which is much appreciated.

Emma

11 minutes ago, EmmaS said:

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.  So, where someone else is named, that's who he was filling in for.  Do the values in the final remarks column refer to documents that are potentially available elsewhere and contain additional information? Generally speaking no, most will be internal references possibly stemming from telegrams received at the Exeter Records Office. The B213 or AFB 213 is a weekly return for the battalion. Men arriving or leaving etc. should be noted on the B213 form which I presume was also telegraphed to Exeter. The W 3034 is a hospital admission & discharge sheet, looks like he was on three of these.

I'm struggling to read the detail of the entry on 5/6/28 regarding his hospital admission.  There's an NYD Not yet diagnosed (not sure what's after the NYD and MAL R Malaria is my suggestion and some wording in brackets?  Also, the entries in Nov 18 include the abbrev. CON D Convalescent depot and in Mar 19 - 4th RB - what would these be? 4th RB follows on from the IBD entry - infantry base depot which was a large depot holding mixtures of different battalions, it reads like a sub group of the IBD but can't say I know this one! Finally, in the 28/3/19 entry - To Base for Demob., there's some wording below in brackets and I can't work out what they say. Looks like 'pivotal man' to me IE. Someone needed and demobbed earlier than others?

Many thanks for your help, which is much appreciated.

Emma

There's quite a few annotations and abbreviations on his Casualty Form, not sure I know them all but I'll add in bold to your reply which I've quoted above.

TEW

Just to add a couple of details to Tew's detailed response:

2 hours ago, TEW said:

not sure what's after the NYD a

Pyr as in Pyrexia 

2 hours ago, TEW said:

MAL R Malaria is my suggestion

Malaria Recurrent, I think 

3 hours ago, EmmaS said:

and some wording in brackets? 

(Ex C of A Camp) not sure!

2 hours ago, TEW said:

4th RB follows on from the IBD entry - infantry base depot which was a large depot holding mixtures of different battalions, it reads like a sub group of the IBD

4th Bn Rifle Brigade were in Salonika. Perhaps they were running the IBD by 1919? Entry says 'OC 4th RB', ie Officer Commanding.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962