Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German medical services uniform

Johan

Hi,

For a school project I'm searching information on a German medical services uniform. I would especially like to know the colours of the uniform. It would be great to find a colour image of that kind of uniform.

I'm adding two images: one general view and a detail. The photo shows members of the staff of the Kriegslazarett 123 around Christmas 1914. It is the uniform of the person on the left I'm interested in.

1) Looking at the general view, it is clear that the person on the left wears another uniform than the other persons (who wear Feldgrau). But what general colour would the left uniform have?

2) Detail, number 1: on his right sleeve, the person has a patch of the medical services. Searching online, the snake often is yellow, but at first sight that seems impossible here. What colours could the patch have?

3) Detail, number 2: What colour would the shoulder pieces have?

4) Detail, numbers 3a and 3b: What colours would the pieces on the neck and at the end of the sleeves have? The left strip of the end of the sleeves (see 3b) seems shiny, so I'm thinking this is maybe gold?

5) Detail, number 4: aside the buttons, there is a narrow strip that runs from the top to the bottom of the jacket. It has clearly another colour. I'm supposing red, as seen on other German uniforms?

6) Detail, number 5: the second person on the left also has a patch on his collar. What would the colours of this patch be?

7) Is it possible to say what rank/function the person on the left would have? I have been searching online, but I didn't find any similar uniform.

Thanks in advance for any hint!

Best regards,

Johan

4126_1.jpg

4126_2.jpg

Hello Johan,

It may be a Friedensuniform he's wearing (blue). The colours of the shoulder board would then be depending of the Friedensuniform of the unit in question (which may be hard to find out exactly).

The snake should be yellow, but it looks dark because of the B/W pic (sometimes making yellow look dark and blue look pale). If the man is wearing a dark blue peacetime uniform, the badge may be fieldgray.

He may be an Unteroffizier or perhaps a Fähnrich (as he seems to be part of a group of officers).

If he would be from a medical unit, it may be a Train Friedensrock, a bit like this: https://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/tunics/dbt07.htm

Jan

Thanks Jan for these very plausible comments.

You're undoubtedly right about the sometimes strange 'conversion' of colours on black and white photos.

So if I read your comments correctly, the patch probably looks like the example below.

As blue always looks pale on black and white photos, I think it's very well possible that it's a Train Friedensrock (with blue), especially as you can see the dark (red) colour of a number on the shoulderpiece.

Following the same reasoning, maybe the patch of the second person (detail, number 5) also has a blue background (same shade of grey as on the uniform of the left person). But is such a patch possible? I don't know what symbol is on it (something with 5 'dots' or so?).

Best regards,

Johan

Patch.jpg

Johan,

That's a doctor, it's an aesculap on a probably (I'm not an expert in uniform colours) blue patch with red rimming.

Jan

Thanks again Jan.

Knowing he's a doctor now, I hope to find an example of this patch to see the colours in real.

Best regards,

Johan

If his tunic is blue it is the Buntenrock. A Friedensrock is Feldgrau with coloured collars and cuffs.

Charlie