Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Diggers (1919)

robbie

I just won a first edition copy of this book on Ebay.

London: Herbert Jenkins, 1919. First Edition. 121pp + adverts.

The Australian contribution to the Western Front during the First World War .

Introduction by the Rgt. Hon. W. M. Hughes - Billy Hughes, a former Prime Minister of Australia.

Has anyone read this book?

Robbie

Robbie

I havn't read this particular book, but I do have a copy of his book The Great Push. If that is anything to go by you will enjoy it. He is a very descriptive writer. By the way , there are one or two web sites dedicated to him.

Terry Reeves

Guest TCIngrid

[introduction by the Rgt. Hon. W. M. Hughes - Billy Hughes, a former Prime Minister of Australia.

Has anyone read this book?

Robbie

A former PM? Now there's the understatement of the year Robbie!

Perhaps the most contoversial identity in Australia's political history.

He divided the nation in 1916 / 1917 and still has that ability.

He ruffled many feathers by Swanning off to England, hob-nobbing with the upper classes whilst pretending to retain his Ozzie egalitarianism. A bit like Germaine Greer in some ways.

A kinder biography might be found on the following link

THE LITTLE DIGGER

He had a few saving graces, perhaps the best being insistence that the 1914 men be granted leave to Australia, some of them actually reached home before the Armistice

Robbie

I havn't read this particular book, but I do have a copy of his book The Great Push. If that is anything to go by you will enjoy it. He is a very descriptive writer.  By the way , there are one or two web sites dedicated to him.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for this Terry.

Robbie

He had a few saving graces, perhaps the best being insistence that the 1914 men be granted leave to Australia, some of them actually reached home before the Armistice

Indeed, Ingrid. I, too, have swanned off to England (5 years ago), only I'm yet to have the pleasure (?) of hob-knobbing with the toffs! :lol:

PS. Germaine Greer is on the telly weekly now in a program called "Grumpy Old WOmen"...a follow-up to "Grumpy Old Men"...

Robbie :ph34r: