Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Veterinary Corp information

Simon Warren

Hi All

I hope that you are all doing well ? I am looking for information on a Captain in Army Veterinary Corp Richard Porteous . If anyone has any information of where he might have been serving that would be wonderful . He was born in 1877 in Scotland if that helps.

Thank you Simon

Hi

1920 Offr's war service book

Sth Africa Transvaal 30 Nov 1900 to 31 May 1902. Ops in Orange River Colony , 16 Jun 1901 to 31 may 1902. Ops in Zululand Frontier of Natal,  Sept & Oct1901 including defence of Forts Itala and Prospect. Ops in Cape Colony, 30 Nov 1900 to 2 May 1902. QSA with 3 Clasps & KSA with 2 Clasps.

War of 1914-18 Despatches LG4 Jan 1917 1914 Star

Cheers

Peter

Wow . Would his roles involve looking after horses ? Can you forward me the docs you found please

Simon 

He commited suicide in Dec 1930. He had been running a practice at Southsea. The Veterinary Record provided a brief obit and this is copied by certain newspapers. 

In the Great War he served in France and Italy, then in 1919 to Mespot, Basra and Baghdad. 

Drink, malaria, depression.. there are numerous newspaper hits for him.

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001973%2f19310123%2f284&stringtohighlight=porteous veterinary

4 hours ago, Simon Warren said:

Would his roles involve looking after horses ?

It occurs to me that we haven't answered this question. The National Army Museum website has some useful information: https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/royal-army-veterinary-corps#:~:text=First World War&text=By 1918%2C nearly half of,cavalry%2C transport and artillery animals. Click the links in the WW1 section.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown