Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF PLACES USE THE LION SYMBOL

RICHARD1959

FLANDERS SIGN W/LION, SCOTTISH PATCH W/ LION AND GW LIGHTER W/LION FRONT SIDE FRENCH NATIONAL BIRD ON REVERSE. THE SITE LISTS IT AS TRENCH ART BUT I THINK IT WAS MADE SOME PLACE ELSE

40 minutes ago, RICHARD1959 said:

FLANDERS SIGN W/LION, SCOTTISH PATCH W/ LION AND GW LIGHTER W/LION FRONT SIDE FRENCH NATIONAL BIRD ON REVERSE. THE SITE LISTS IT AS TRENCH ART BUT I THINK IT WAS MADE SOME PLACE ELSE

Hi Richard. The discs on these lighters were collectables in France and produced from about 1913 through to the 1930's. My understanding is that the French introduced a tax on lighters in 1911, so if you purchased a lighter through a tobacconist you paid the duty. These discs were sold to soldiers who constructed their own lighter, choosing there own design and avoiding the levy. So in answer to your question they are French. 

Depuis le Moyen Âge le lion représente le symbole du pouvoir ainsi que l’aigle, ils sont actuellement représentés sur les drapeaux ou écussons de la plupart des nations, c’est un héritage de l’histoire de la chevalerie, par exemple le roi Richard le cœur du lion en Angleterre ou Frédéric le grand en Allemagne et même avant, nous les Wallons « Belgique » et les Français c’est le coq, en France c’est la monarchie ''Royale ou république'"le Flamand c’est le Lion depuis la révolution, avec les Hollandais, et avant eux les Hollandais c’était espagnol, puis vint l’autrichien, bref, le lion grogne, l’aigle vole le plus haut et le coq lui chante