Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transcription errors on FindMyPast

PaulC78

I recently came across the service record of Frederick Peter HOLMS (according to the transcription) on FMP, but looking through the pages it seems fairly evident to me that the name is actually HOLMES. I've submitted a correction (twice!) but FMP insist that their transcription is correct and will not be making any changes. I don't have much experience with this sort of thing on FMP, so I'm not sure if it's just me or if this sort of response is typical. Anyway, just having a quick vent! What do others think?

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/WO363-4/7405509/32/602&utm_source=fmp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=MerckxTriggerFMPTranscriptionErrorProcessed&utm_term=

Capture.JPG.564624b775511f904d715ae2011bb059.JPG

Definitely says Holmes - also confirmed by his Silver War Badge card. I'm surprised FMP take this attitude as they're generally much more accurate than Ancestry. However if that's their decision, you can only do so much.

John

image.png.95076658b78fab94251eb2c0c11d66cd.png

• Admin

Of course it's Holmes - anyone can see that - except apparently those who occupy positions in these organisations.

You could let them know (not that it will make any difference whatsoever) that they have chosen to name him (correctly) Holmes in their own other record set for him i.e. the Silver War Badge

Record Transcription: Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920 | findmypast.co.uk

Regards

Russ

Nice one!

I have notified FMP on more than one occasion of a clear transcription error but they replied that my suggestion was wrong. I don't bother to notify them any more. As a reasonably experienced fmp user I am disappointed with their response, to say the least.

Charlie

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I have notified FMP on more than one occasion of a clear transcription error but they replied that my suggestion was wrong. I don't bother to notify them any more. As a reasonably experienced fmp user I am disappointed with their response, to say the least.

Charlie

Ditto

I still inform them - it's up to them whether they make the correction, but at least I've done my best.

John

In my experience it is not unusual to find transcription errors, these whenever I find one I report it and let them do whatever. I now rarely bother to check what response they have made especially as it can take up to 90 days for them to do so.

regards

Indefatigable

unfortunately, its too common on older document referencing, Ancestry is just as bad. We were just having a discussion at the garage about the Ministry of Transport / DVLA/Vosa coming up with the 2 year MOT idea.

these documents/ideas being dreamt up by people who do it for the money / good, not because they know anything about it.

I seem to remember adverts for transcribers to read and transcribe documents, probably aimed at people with no interest just time to do it. Probably speed reading and writing how they think i was spelt , and with no back up supervision to check it goes un noticed, CWGC was another instance recently.

needless to say, Ive reported some obvious errors, but as yet not acted on.