Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What to do when it rains?

Mark

I've planned a three day trip to Ypres and The Somme for next weekend. It's just dawned on me that if it rains, my two companions (mother - 77 and aunt - 82, am I mad :o ) will not fancy being on the battlefields if it is wet.

So, any suggestions for what to do in and around Ypres (we've "done" IFF, Ramparts museum etc) and also for the Pozieres/Albert/Villers Bretonneux area (we've been to the Historial at Peronne and are planning to go to the Musee des Abris in Albert - I think that's the name, the one underground!).

Suggestions greatly welcomed!

On the Somme, go to Newfoundland and Thiepval, ending up with a restorative cop of tea, for them, and something a bit stronger for you, at Tommy's.

On the Somme, go to Newfoundland and Thiepval, ending up with a restorative cop of tea, for them, and something a bit stronger for you, at Tommy's.

I think I would take them to Bruges and or Ghent, yes it would still be raining but places ot see, there are none left for them at Ieper.

Mark

The musee at Albert is Excellent.

Vimy ridge tunnels should be keep you dry although it does drip a bit.

Glyn

Have you visited the new Passendale Memorial Museum at Zonnebeke? 'Easily the best museum in the Ypres Salient' (Mrs Hone-a harsh judge). For non-battlefield activities try the Cheese making factory and cafe near Zonnebeke. Have only looked inside but it seems very popular. It's where they make the famous 'Passendale' cheese. You don't mention if you've been to TOC H at Poperinge. Despite the museum extension, still a wonderful place although the marvellous roof-chapel might be difficult for your relatives to visit.

Many thanks for your replies. We have been to TocH a few years ago and both of them made it to the Chapel. Their father (my grandfather) had attended a service in the chapel in 1917 and his brother (William Grady - see signature below) had also been there in 1917 but at different times. It was a little emotional for us all. Mum and I visited the Passendale Memorial Museum last April - excellent, well worth a visit.

Tommy's bar is on the list already :P and thanks for the tip about Thiepval and Newfoundland.

Plan B is already forming :D

Dear Mark,

I don't want to be nitpicking but the cheese museum is not the place where the Passchendaele cheese is being produced. It has been established in the old cheese factory, where many years ago the production of cheese started up. After having been a ruin for quite a lot of years (when the production of the cheese moved to the other side of the village into a modern and much larger factory), the old cheese factory has been converted into a national cheese museum....

And as to your comments on the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917, I can only echo those.

Best wishes from a sunny Salient,

Charlotte

:) Hi

in October last year I took my 80 year old Dad with my 13 year old son to THe Somme for a few days. He cannot walk too far but found the following fantastic :

Delville Wood "museum"

Tommies Bar and trench

Albert Museum AND Cathedral

Vimy

Ulster tower

Thiepval Centre

Newfoundland- he walked about 2 miles here and thought he could only manage 100yards!

The task of taking him around all of these places was great for me and my son as we saw things we have not seen before as we normally head directly onto the fields.

Tony

Perhaps a little too far, given your time scale, but exhibitions like the Matisse at le Cateau could be rewarding if the other parties are interested in art.

When I took my mum to France and Switzerland as a birthday present for one of the zero birthdays, I found it was useful to have a few ideas of places where she would be able to sit down (and have a cup of tea) in the dry or the warm, such as art galleries. She got to see quite a lot of Gauguin.....

And, in line with LB's advice, older women do value having access to familiar-style loos, especially if their mobility or vision is less than it used to be.

I hope you have a lovely and rewarding weekend, memorable for all the right reasons!

Gwyn

Charlotte-Sorry, having not been round the cheese museum I foolishly assumed that it was a 'factory tour' as well. It looked very nice even so, assuming you like cheese! Hasn't 'The Tommy' bar undergone an extensive facelift according to recent posts?