Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th / 23rd Middlesex locations in 1916 / 1917

The Guardroom

Can anyone help place these 2 Middlesex Battalions please.

Looking for where the 17th Bn Middlesesx were during the 28th July 1916 and the 23rd Bn Middlesex were during the 9th June 1917?

Any other info would be appreciated on these 2 Bn's during these dates.

Many thanks,

Alan

Alan,

British Battalions on the Somme states,

17th Middlesex on July 27th 1916 to front line at Delville Wood.

July 28th - Strong German counter attack repulsed.

Bob.

Alan,

If you ever need any other info on the 17th, please feel free to contact me. I have been researching this battalion for a few years now. Do you have a family connection?

Regards,

AGWR

Thank you both for such a quick reply.

I had a Gt Uncle who served in the 17th and later the 23rd Bn.

Recently found out that he was injured with the 17th in July 1916 and sent back home to recover after an SW arm L (presume shrapnel wound left arm).

He later went back to France with the 23rd in Dec 1916 to get wounded again on the 9 June 1917 by a GSW to the back. Again sent home and died in (Guildford) Surrey County Hospital on the 17 Aug 1917. Not sure why he died over a month later, could have been infection or other complications.

Buried in the UK at Chingford.

Alan

Alan,

Apologies for delay in replying.

Your Gt-Uncle wasn't by any chance called Burt was he? If so, do you know if he had a brother called Alfred?

Kind Regards,

AGWR

Hi AGWR,

Yep Burt is the man. I saw him mentioned in previous postings and been intouch with the guy who was looking for him. This is the second relative I have found mentioned on the forum.

Family history is a little sketchy but he had a brother Alfred Robert aged 22 in 1915 and a sister Nellie Alexander aged 15 in 1915.

I am not sure why Burt joined a footballing Battalion of the middlesex, as I have no detail of a footbaling connection. Someone on the forum mentioned that Alfred had connectoions with Brighton or Charlton, but again I have not found anything to confirm this.

Rgds,

Alan

If you provide me with a Surname, I could probably make that family history a little less sketchy!

Steve

I found the other thread about Burt and Alfred Tyler. Hope you don't mind me butting in.

Here's some info I found on the Tyler brothers.

From Birth, Marriage, Death registers:

Burt Elvedine Tyler, born June quarter 1893, East Grinstead, 2b-155

Burt & Alfred's Father:

Burt Tyler married September Quarter 1892, East Grinstead, 2b-263, to Jane Ridley.

1901 Census

9 Elm Grove, Walthamstow

Burt Tyler, Born Shur Bridge, Sussex, Age 35, Police Constable.

Jane Tyler, his Wife, Born Shur Bridge, Sussex, age 38

Burt Tyler, Born Shur Bridge, Sussex, Age 7,

Alfred Tyler, Born St James, London, Age 4,

I also found a website detailing Brighton footballers down the years:

Among the list:

TYLER, Alfie, Seasons : 1913-15, Position : outside-left (a "winger"), Appearances : 69, Goals : 1, Debut : Portsmouth (h), 16/4/1913 (S Alliance), Place of birth : East Grinstead, Sussex

The website address:

http://www3.mistral.co.uk/timc/bhares/players/player_t.htm

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

This is great info, especially on Alfred. I wonder why Burt joined the 17th Football battalion and if he was a player to or just joined with friends from the area he lived.

Thanks very much,

Alan :D

Alan,

Not sure if you got the e-mail that I sent you. I seem to be having problems with these at the moment.

I am pretty sure that they were brothers, notwithstanding the fact that the footballer was Alfred John, as opposed to Alfred Robert.

Regards,

AGWR

Can anyone help place these 2 Middlesex Battalions please.

Looking for where the 17th Bn Middlesesx were during the 28th July 1916 and the 23rd Bn Middlesex were during the 9th June 1917?

Any other info would be appreciated on these 2 Bn's during these dates.

Many thanks,

Alan

If it's any help, my copy of the History of the 2nd Division was previously owned by an office, 2/Lt Ivan Horniman, who joined the 17 Mx in Feby '16, and was wounded (and left the Bn) in the Ancre attack on 13th November. He has annotated it with some very pithy comments; nothing relating to personalities, but there is a comment for 28th July, when the Bn was at Delville Wood:

"The enemy obtained a momentary footing on the left of my Coy front (D) but were dislodged after hand to hand fighting: the field of fire was very poor owing to trees and branches felled by artillery fire. The enemy made numerous counter-attacks"

Hope this is of help. Let me know if you want more!

Steven