Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing Stations

danny

Hi All

Could anyone tell me (if it is only the numbers required) the locations of CCS's Nos 6 and 23 around the 10th November 1918. Also, the man I am researching has the 13th Canadian Field Ambulance recorded in his casualty form - was this unit/facility in a fixed location? Many thanks in adavnce

Danny

Hi

For No/6 CCS

Bihecourt Oct 18 - Nov 18; Maubeuge Nov 18 - Mar 19

For No/23 CCS

Brebieres Oct 18 - Nov 18; Auberchicourt Nov 18 - Feb 19

These are on the main website

CCS List

I think much of the Canadian documentation is online - there some posts about this mid-last year.

Hope this is of help

regards

doogal

Hi All

Could anyone tell me (if it is only the numbers required) the locations of CCS's Nos 6 and 23 around the 10th November 1918.  Also, the man I am researching has the 13th Canadian Field Ambulance recorded in his casualty form - was this unit/facility in a fixed location? Many thanks in adavnce

Danny

The Canadian Archives site is a bit dodgy today (Thursday March 24, 2005), but if you check them when they are feeling better you can get the day-to-day trivia of 13th Can Fld Amb.

From some contortions I have performed with other information, I can offer the following:

The 13th Canadian Field Ambulance served with the 4th Canadian Division. As with most Field Ambulances, it moved frequently, especially during the rapid advances during the last three months of the war.

On th 22nd of October it moved to DENAIN.

On the 3rd of November it moved to LA SENTINELLE to open the Canadian Corps Main Dressing Station there.

On the 5th of November it moved to VALENCIENNES to open the Main Dressing Station there at Ecole Normal.

On the 6th it moved to Chateau De Comtesse Jacques de Vincent on Boulevard Pater, VALENCIENNES, where it established a rest station for the sick of the 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was still there on the 10th.

After the 11th, it was told off to accompany the 10th Brigade to the Rhine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot James that's excellent for I know he was treated on the 6/7 Nov and so I have an exact location for him. Great stuff. :)

Danny

Just as an add-on, the diary of the Canadian Corps Deputy Director of Medical Services includes a Medical Situation Report for 21.00 hours on November 5th. This lists the C.C.S.s to which casualties may be evacuated. Among these are No. 6 Br at BOIS DE MONTINGY and No. 23 Br at N. of BREBIERES.

An extra bit of information is that No. 6 was to be used for infectious cases, as well as cases noted N.Y.D.-N. (Not Yet Diagnosed - Nervous ; that is, shell-shock) or S.I.W. (Self Inflicted Wound). Of course, they could take other cases as well.

A similar Situation Report dated November 11 omits No. 23, so perhaps stopped taking Canadian casualties sometime during the week.