Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHICH SQUADRON SUTTONS FARM

GROBBY

20220630_134628.jpg.fc3c9d035a62c53e4e16099412aea061.jpgCould anyone help me identify any of the pilots or which squadron in this photo of RFC/RAF Suttons Farm 1918 I understand there were 3 squadrons there and at the time were flying Sopwith Camels .Thanks for any help

78 Squadron were stationed there from September 1917 flying Camels, replacing 46 Sqdn and a detached Flight of 39 Sqn.

189 (Night Training) Sqdn arrived to join 78 Sqdn in April 1918. Flying Camels and Pups.

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

• Admin

File rotated 

CE6ED226-D293-4C81-A86F-DC530C8DA8B9.jpeg

thank you michelle

Thank you both for your help .I tryed to turn the photo but couldnt .On the back of the photo it says RAF Hornchurch

On the back of the photo it says RAF Hornchurch

Sutton's Farm, a Home Defence Station, was not retained after the war and the buildings and hangars demolished and by 1921 the land returned to its original farmland state.

However in 1922 it was a decided to raise 15 new  Home Defence Squadrons and the site was chosen for a new air station for this purpose. The new station operated on part of the former site. It was named again as RAF Sutton's Farm.

In 1928 it was officially renamed as RAF Hornchurch.

It is likely therefore that the annotation on the back of the photograph was made later than the date of the photograph. 

Hi,

Try getting hold of a copy of Richard C Smith's   "Hornchurch's Air Heroes of the First World War"     ISBN 978-0-9557180-4-5 (it is regularly sold on eBay)

Lots of named photographs of pilots etc which may of use in helping identify those in your photograph.

Steve

Thank you both for your help .I have looked in our library at Stow Maries and the book was there and i recognised at least two of the officers in the photo and it seems that the squadron is 78 Sqdn

Thank you for noticing that ,I automaticaly thought it was the Camel, so this makes it late 1918 and sometime 1919 but that one of them is still wearing his RNAS uniform while the others have gone over to the RAF/RNAS and 4 are wearing the maternity blouse I thought it could be very late 1918 ?

Snipes were introduced into Squadron Service a few weeks before the Armistice.

Dave