Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Isidore Herbert Greenwood

JustinL

I would very much appreciate any information on the above Jewish officer.

Born Isidore Herbert Grunebaum (with a German umlaut), he was the only son of Solon and Fannie. The family changes its name in 1915.

From references to him in the London Gazette, it seems that he become a Company Commander at some stage (1916?).

I have also just found his grave on the CWGC site; he's buried at Dainville near Arras. He died near there on 6 Jul 1918.

Thanks,

Interestingly the 1901 census has a Joadore Grunebaum 9 years old born in Notting Hill and resident in Kensington. This is probably Isadore. Solon his father was a 37 year old born in Paddington, Cigar Importer and Fannia who was probably his mother, was 36 born in Clevedon Somerset. I will have a look at the Absent Voters List for Kensington next time I'm at the library, if that is of any help.

Ancestry.com 1901 Census

At 10 Pembridge Square, Kensington.

Isadore Herbert "Gruneburn" per transcription, Grunebaum per original, born Notting Hill, Resident Kensington, age 9, born Sep qtr 1892, 1a-85.

Father Solon, Mother Fannia (though probably Fannie looking at the original) as per Myrtles post.

(Solon Grunebaum married Fanny Joliffe in Sep 1890, 1a-168. Fanny Jolliffe (though with 2 "l"s) confirmed to 1881 Census age 16, Clevedon, Somerset, daughter of William and Mary Joliffe)

Sister Josephine Mary, 4, born 1897 in Kensington.

Plus 3 servants.

1891 Census

3 Princes Square, Paddington.

Joseph Grunebaum, age 56, b 1835 in Germany (British Subject), Cigar Merchant.

Nancy Grunebaum, age 56, b 1834 in Germany, Wife,

Isidore, Son, 31, b Dec qtr 1859 in Marylebone, Stock Brokers Agent.

Martin, Son, 21, b 1870 in Marylebone, Solicitor.

Rosie (With umlaut on "i"), Daughter, 19, b June qtr 1871 in Marylebone.

Alfred, Son, 18, b March qtr 1873 in Marylebone, Cigar Mechants Assistant.

Arthur, Son, 16, b 1875 in Marylebone, Cigar Merchants Assistant.

Plus Visitor and 2 servants.

I can't find Solon on the 1891 Census but the 1871 Census has him in this family at age 8:

From 1871 Census

Name as Grunbaum (no "e"), 14 Edgeware Road, Marylebone.

Joseph (Occupation Tobacconist) was born Dormston Hesse and "Nancy" aka Nannhen at Capel, Hesse,

Solon's sisters : Carline, Clara, Charlotte,Fanny, Gertrude & brothers Isidore (11)and Martin (8 months)

Hope this helps, Steve.

Here's a photo of him from the British Jewry Book of Honour (page 213)...

Dave.

post-357-1111855585.jpg

I did not get much of a chance to do any family history research over the weekend, hence the delayed response - and big thank-you.

The Gruenebaums were indeed in the cigar importation business. Joseph had a shop in Old Bond Street.

Isidore's Aunt Fannie (quite a common name at the time) was married to Paul Levy, my ggf's brother.

Dave - I really appeciate how you are always prepared to spent some time digging out information for people. Many on the forum are indebted to you.

Steve - did you view the original census return for 1871? Are the towns Darmstadt and Cassel by any chance?

Myrtle - what is the Absent Voter's List?

We've probably drifted somewhat off the Great War topic, so maybe we should continue by PM or email.

Rgds,

Hey Justin

How's things with you?

I've just jumped into this posting and spotted your latest query.

The image below is from the 1871 census image and is as you assumed. The names Steve referred to earlier were as transcribed.

post-1356-1112086526.jpg

Hello Stephen,

I'm bearing up as they say.

Did you enjoy a jar or two in Temple Bar? Now, don't tell me you were over for a stag night?

Thank you for the snippet from the 1871 census (Steve is sending them to me). Defintely, Darmstadt (in South Hesse) and Cassel (Kassel, in North Hesse).

Rgds,

Myrtle - what is the Absent Voter's List?

It was the electoral roll for those who were absent from voting at home in 1918, due to them serving their country.

Myrtle,

Would there have been an Absent Voters' List for each London borough? Are they available at the borough libraries?

Five of the six Gruenebaum brothers changed their name by deed poll to Greenwood in May 1915. Two announcements in the London Gazette of 21 May 1915 (p. 4949) give the names, addresses and occupations of the family members. Isidore Herbert is the only member serving in the forces at the time.

Would you perhaps have time to check the list for three Levys, i.e. nephews and cousins of the Greenwoods?

Isidore Paul Levy, b. 1883 in Kensington

Reuben Paul Levy, b, 1888 in Kensington

Joseph Martin Levy, b. 1893 in Kensington

All the best,

Justin

Not all the AVLs are available , alas :(

I know that the Kensington AVL is in the main library and I will have a look next time I visit. The list is arranged by ward therefore it would be easier if you can give me an idea of whereabouts in Kensington the Levys lived.

I notice that there is an Isidore Levy and a Joseph Levy listed in the 1901 census born in North Kensington. If they are your men, do you know if they stayed in that particular area ?

Myrtle

Yes, they are:

1901 Census

104 Lansdowne Road, Parish : St John, Notting Hill, Borough looks like Holland Wood, North Kensington. (I know there's a Holland Park there, next to the Commonwealth Museum near Olympia? I've walked through it a couple of times)

Father Paul Levy (49), mother Fannie Levy (40), Joseph (7), "Renhew" - that one's Reuben (12), Isidore (transcribed as 19 but is 17). Also Matthias (19) and Ralph (11), plus 3 servants.

Justin - that one's on it's way, too.

Steve

Edit : Just noticed the transcription gives Paul Levy's place on birth as "Netwralind, Germany". The original says "Germany, Naturalised British Subject"!! :o

Thanks Steve.

I know where Lansdowne Road is and at that time it would have been within the Holland Ward which is near to Holland Park.

Myrtle,

Did the Levys stay at 104 Lansdowne Rd, North Kensington? I know that Paul and Fanny were there during WWI. But whether the sons were still living at home - I simply do not know. Is it worth a try anyway?

When Matthias signed up in 1915 he gave his address as 109 Fenchurch St, EC. This was the premises of the family cigar importation business - Julius Levy & Co. Ltd.

Cheers,

Justin

I visited the library today and have some more information regarding the Levy family. The AVL shows that during 1918 Ralph Paul Levy who usually resided at 104, Lansdowne Road was a Captain with the 8th Middlesex Regiment. Just for your reference , by that time, the polling district was Norland Ward 9 (J).

The Levy's next door neighbour at 106, Pte. 22697 Walter Felix Munn was also away with the No. 58 Field Ambulance RAMC.

At the same time in 1918 the electoral roll shows that Jose Martin Levy and Reuban Paul Levy were also residing at 104 Lansdowne Road. 104 is very near to the Ladbroke Road end of Lansdowne Road rather than the Holland Park end.

1914-1915 Register of Electors has Paul Matthias Levy residing at 104, Lansdowne Road and it is listed as a Dwelling House.

Regarding the Grunebaums, although it was mentioned earlier in this thread, that they lived at 10, Pembridge Square they in fact are only mentioned in connection with 10, Pembridge Gardens. Isidore does not appear on the AVL as living at this address or Pembridge Square. The 1913-1914 and the 1914-1915 Registers of Electors have Solon Grunebaum residing at 10, Pembridge Gardens but there is no sign of Isidore.

I have been told that the AVL was drawn up at the end of the previous year therefore I would have expected to find Isidore mentioned if he lived there, as he died in 1918. If anyone has differing information regarding the time AVLs were compiled, I would be interested to hear.

Here is a photograph of 104, Lansdowne Road. It is now occupied as flats.

post-38-1112301827.jpg

Double checked it... :unsure: Ahem, Gardens it is then on the Census! Darn 20th Century using those silly pens and pencils things to actually write with. Just not civilised.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! Thanks, Myrtle!

post-6536-1112303218.jpg

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! Thanks, Myrtle!

No problem. My dog enjoyed the walk. How would you like a rather nice photo of 10, Pembridge Square ? ;)

Is there one going spare, then?

Er, nice doggy!!! :o

Ooh, not there! :blink:

Myrtle

I do believe you have gone all through this post without establishing a link with the Rhayader Clock Tower !!

Myrtle

I do believe you have gone all through this post without establishing a link with the Rhayader Clock Tower !!

With apologies to Justin I would like to reply to Stebie and Steve with a photograph of my dog who was born just down the road from the Rhayader Clock Tower.

post-38-1112345282.jpg

Touche ! I should have know better

(Sorry Justin)

He looks like the sort of dog that would just love chasing wild geese! :D

Myrtle,

Somehow I missed your reply yesterday. Thank you so much for the thorough report on the Levys.

So the assumption would be that neither Joseph nor Reuben served, unless of course they had both been wounded and discharged.

The photo of the house is brilliant, I shall include it in my family write-up. I suspected that the family were fairly well-to-do; obviously there was a lot of money to be earned in the cigar business.

Solon Grunebaum (or Greenwoods as they became known) had moved to 24 Palace-Court by mid 1915. Presumably, that too is somewhere in Kensington.

Have a good weekend.

Myrtle,

Somehow I missed your reply yesterday. Thank you so much for the thorough report on the Levys.

So the assumption would be that neither Joseph nor Reuben served, unless of course they had both been wounded and discharged.

The photo of the house is brilliant, I shall include it in my family write-up. I suspected that the family were fairly well-to-do; obviously there was a lot of money to be earned in the cigar business.

Solon Grunebaum (or Greenwoods as they became known) had moved to 24 Palace-Court by mid 1915. Presumably, that too is somewhere in Kensington.

Have a good weekend.

Justin

Interesting that Ralph Paul Levy was with the 8th Middlesex, same battalion, to which Isadore Greenwood was attached. I take it that they were cousins.

Now I know that the family moved from Pembridge Gardens in 1915 I will check the Palace Court address next time I'm at the library.

Pleased that you like the photograph. If you send me your email address off forum I will send you another photo taken from the other side of Ladbroke Grove which shows the position of the house in Lansdowne Road.