Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation from a Welsh newspaper please

davidbohl

Will a kind member translate this article for me, a combination of OCR from the BNA and a Google translate has produced this:-

TRIST EVENT: COLL MILWR lEUAND OP. THAT. On Sunday, the 13th. the prussian necromancer came to the village of Beddgelert, from Galuen the "Liverpool 'Pals," Private David John Williams, of Court (formerly White), after being killed in the battlefield in France,"killed in acticn. " This will take place on the 6th. It was a tab for Mr and Mrs David John Williams, Llys Gwvnant. He was 19 years old since the last 3: adole. He was a child of this village. He was educated at Ysgol y Cyn, gur, of Mr. David Jones.He moved to waaanai: the Liverpool. and there he arose. Sr "Pals." It was over in France in about a month ago.
Not ad: ot since when: uth over. He sent letters to his family. The village was consumed with a pure sadness when the black news came. There is general condolences to his father and tam and Awaer, and the rkulu.
and now see the duck silently in the far-flung ground of • FraMr. eiup to him the brave soldiers!

many thanks

Dave

WilliamsDJ_ExtraFamilyInfo_1916Jul18.png

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

"I am not in the office at the moment.
Please leave all requests for translation after the beep".

Hahahaha, didn’t they even manage to install that sign?

"SAD EVENT: LOSS OF A YOUNG SOLDIER FROM BEDD[GELERT]*

On Thursday 13th sad news came to the village of Beddgelert from a Captain in the 'Liverpool Pals' , that Private David John Williams, Llys Gwynant, (previously of Plas Gwyn), had been killed on the field of  the big battle in France, "killed in action". This happenned on the 6th inst.

He was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. David John Williams, Llys Gwynant. He was 19 years of age last Christmas. He was one of the children of this village. He received his education in the council school under Mr. David Jones. He moved into service to Liverpool, and it was there that he joined the "Pals".

He was over in France about 9 months. He hadn't been home since going over. He sent frequent letters to his family.

The village was struck by deep sadness when the black news arrived. There is general/common sympathy with his mother and father and sister and the whole family in their deep grief.

David John belonged to the same regiment  as Private Rhys Roberts, Y Bwlch, and now - see the two rest peacefully in the distant soil of France .

"Sweet be the sleep of the brave soldiers".

* Bedd is Welsh for a grave.

Interesting fact #1

I'm sure you know the fable  true story of Prince Llewelyn's faithful hound Gelert. Charged to guard the Prince's baby son in his crib, while the prince was out on princely duties. A wolf comes a knockin' and attacks the baby, but is savaged and killed by faithful old Gelert. The place is a hell of a mess with blood and giblets everywhere.

The prince comes home at teatime, and seeing the baby's cot overturned, and with the dog's chops covered in blood, thinks the worst, that Gelert hasn't just had only his Winalot for lunch. The Prince draws his sword and kills the dog.

He then hears a whimper from under the cradle, and finds to his delight, his baby son still alive, and to his horror, a dead wolf. The prince was overcome with guilt and grief and is said never to have smiled again. The dog is buried in Beddgelert [= Gelert's grave] where you can buy mementos, souvenirs and nick nacks with prices to suit every pocket.

Interesting fact#2
For some obscure reason, the CB Radio tag for Beddgelert is Dead Dog City.

2 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Will a kind member translate this article for me,

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

SAD EVENT:LOSS OF A YOUNG SOLDIER FROM BEDD[GELERT]

You're a star Dai, many thanks

I was hoping you would leave in the bit about a prussian necromancer

20 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

You're a star Dai, many thanks

I was hoping you would leave in the bit about a prussian necromancer

I think the village successfully covered up that little incident!

44 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Hahahaha, didn’t they even manage to install that sign?

They did indeed.

image.jpeg

The Pte Roberts mentioned in the paper died in a tragic accident

Liverpool Echo of 26th January 1916

Pte.Rhys Roberts, of the 17th Service Battalion K.L.R., has been killed in France. He was preparing a bomb to discharge at the enemy, when he was hit. Death was instantaneous. Two of his comrades similarly engaged, were killed at the same time. Before enlisting, Private Roberts lived at 5, Wadham-road, Bootle.

54 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Was he 22897, 20th Bn., died 3rd July?

David J. Williams

This is what we have done on him so far

https://www.liverpoolpals.com/soldier/?i=2685/22897-Pte-david--john-williams

and Rhys Roberts is 15563

Similarly what we have done on him https://www.liverpoolpals.com/soldier/?i=2145/15563-Pte-rhys--roberts

Edited by davidbohl
links to Pals

Here's a photo of Rhys Roberts

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4018136/4018143/28

I believe that the newspaper Y Brython was published in Liverpool to service the large Welsh contingent there.

I haven't come across a photo of David John Williams but here's one of the Beddgelert memorial with their names.

edit: ah, I see you have a photo of Rhys.

Beddgelert Memorial1.jpg

Beddgelert Memorial2.jpg

Edited by Hywyn

3 hours ago, Hywyn said:

ah, I see you have a photo of Rhys.

Good photos of the memorial, many thanks

Is it leaning a bit ?

Cofion (Yma dwysgwr). 

59 minutes ago, KGB said:

Cofion (Yma dwysgwr). 

Good effort - I think the word you need is 'Dysgwr' and the phrase you need there is either 'Dysgwr yma' (Learner here), or perhaps 'Dysgwr ydw i' (I'm a learner).

( Dwys means dense or thick, gwr a man or a husband. So dwysgwr could be interpreted as 'Thick Husband' :o).

On 27/06/2022 at 12:03, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Good effort - I think the word you need is 'Dysgwr' and the phrase you need there is either 'Dysgwr yma' (Learner here), or perhaps 'Dysgwr ydw i' (I'm a learner).

( Dwys means dense or thick, gwr a man or a husband. So dwysgwr could be interpreted as 'Thick Husband' :o).

Pleading Not Guilty to the thick husband charge. Diolch n fawr (hope that is OK). 

There has been a previous GWF thread on Captain W.F.Rudd ( first name on the memorial). Sorry, having trouble adding the link but I started the thread. I thought it was about five years ago, but see to my horror it was actually in 2007!

My Cymraeg must be coming along, because I had a pretty good stab at translating the article before looking at Dai's definitive version. More power to Duolingo, 'Say Something in Welsh' and my two Welsh-speaking grandaughters. 

Edited by Mark Hone