Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What medals do we see here, please?

GreyC

Hi all,

found this photo and would like to know what medals were awarded to this soldier who I presume, was British.

Would appriciate your help!

GreyC

x Britischer Soldat? Orden.jpg

Agree with Redcoat. IGS the -97.. variety.

Hi RedCoat, RNCVR,

thank you very much for your help. As a nitwit in things connected with the British military, I´d like to make sure I got it right:

Queen´s South Africa Medal

King's South Africa Meda

India General Service Medal

Best,

GreyC

Dear GreyC,

Yes, but the right order as in the fine portrait, is:-

India General Service medal 1897 with one clasp, first, followed by the Queen's South Africa 1899-1900 with five clasps, and finally the King's South Africa 1901-1902 with the usual two clasps.

You have given so much excellent advice on German matters to the GWF over the years, that you deserve a small bit of Feedback!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

35 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

Hi Grey,

With thanks to the Noonans archive:- from left to right, IGS, QSA, KSA.

489267511_ScreenShot2022-06-22at10_08_14pm.png.8e0939e14af017297e8da3aec7db9fd8.png

This looks like the actual medal bar from the pic! Is it possible to identify the man?

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Is it possible to identify the man?

It would probably only be possible to narrow it down. I can‘t make out his collar badge but he would appear to be a Pte in an English Infantry of the line regiment.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

It would probably only be possible to narrow it down. I can‘t make out his collar badge but he would appear to be a Pte in an English Infantry of the line regiment.

He appears to be in the Seaforth Highlanders, wearing their distinctive two collar badges:

image.png.cf100ae1935b78563fda1bcb69dd12b2.png

7 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

He appears to be in the Seaforth Highlanders, wearing their distinctive two collar badges:

Many thanks, I thought his collar was white rather than yellow but on second look there is a difference between the collar and the piping.

Charlie

Thank you both for your successful attempt to identify the regiment. Most welcome information! When trying to get more information on this regiment on Wikipedia I was a bit puzzled to find a different emblem. But it seems to be a cap emblem. Collar was different, then?

Best,

GreyC

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-22 um 17.39.04.png

Edited by GreyC

16 minutes ago, GreyC said:

But it seems to be a cap emblem. Collar was different, then?

Yes - the Seaforth Highlanders was "created in 1881 through the amalgamation of the 72nd (Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders) Regiment of Foot and the 78th (Highlanders) (Ross-shire Buffs) Regiment of Foot", which apparently wasn't initially well received by either regiment, and consequently neither was effectively willing to give up "their" badges. So as a sop they were allowed to retain collar badges representing both (with subsequent arguments about which then should come first :glare:) :

Seaforth Highlanders - Wikipedia

31 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Many thanks, I thought his collar was white rather than yellow but on second look there is a difference between the collar and the piping.

Depending on date it is more likely to be buff facings rather than yellow (which was relatively short lived due to being unpopularly received by the regiment. Again).

These images give an idea of how the undress scarlet frock appeared.  Only the collar was faced.  Royal regiments facings were dark blue.  Notice the piping beneath the collar, on the pocket flaps, and the gauntlet style turn-back cuffs, but none down the front join.  The frock was the undress working garment for most duties apart from Guard, Review Order and Walking Out of barracks.

5B6A555D-5149-45C0-930F-94EB8461DA09.png

1C24F513-1352-438E-AC20-BC2E8C87896B.jpeg

7AF9BF0C-EE20-4505-80A6-87301F712C05.jpeg

51F07CC7-D69C-44E4-B4E7-73013B8E3FD0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

what medals

I‘m happy to be put back in my place if anyone knows different. To be awarded the combination of medals the soldier was serving with the 2nd Bn of the Seaforth Highlanders.
After looking at the medal rolls they are:-
India General Service Medal 1895 with clasp „Relief of Chitral 1895“ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Medal

Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony. Transvaal, Paardeberg, Driefontein & Wittebergen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_South_Africa_Medal

Kings South Africa Medal with clasps South Africa 1901 & 1902 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_South_Africa_Medal

Charlie

Edited by charlie2