Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Brown Royal Flying Corps

MrEd

Hello All, 

Researching a relative (Great Uncle)

James Bartholomew Brown, Born 1885 in Woolwich, and married to Elizabeth Kate Brown (nee Mcpherson)

I found him on FOLD3 under RFC number 111946 (thats the number on the form but i dont know if thats his recruit number), he enlisted in the RFC in December 1917 and was moved to RAF reserves in 1919, and the form mentions a page in the medal roll, for the british war and victory medals. It says 'Page 51, book 5A' (i think 5A) but i cannot find a MIC for him and i cannot find how to look at the medal roll books or pages.
I have tried findmypast, ancestry and TNA and drawn a blank on all 3.

I also cant find anything service records wise on any of the above either. Are RFC records elsewhere?

anyone able to help or point me in the right direction?

thanks

Ed

Brown .jpg

Edited by MrEd

35 minutes ago, MrEd said:

I found him on FOLD3 under RFC number 111946 (thats the number on the form but i dont know if thats his recruit number)

That 111946 is his RAF service number.

Under that RAF number WFA/Fold3 have an unspecified disability pension claim he made in 1920 after Transfer 19.5.19 - it was Rejected

His address was: 51 Arsenal Rd, Well Hall, Eltham, Kent

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Find My Past [from TNA] have his 111946 Airman's Record https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11662603

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add s n

brilliant thanks matlock

Am i right in assuming that if thats all there is, then that is all there is to find records wise?

The address checks out with what i have in the family history folder already so i am certain this is my great uncle

htanks

Ed

28 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

He does show up in the RAF muster roll of 1 April 1918, with an enlistment date of 11 December 1917. Best bet for finding out more though would be his service record on FindMyPast that Matlock1418 found.

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000092144-brown-j.b

thanks, i guess those 2 pages are it then. Thanks for your help i appreciate it

Ed