Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Welsh Dogtag

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

:wacko:

Can anyone tell me if this an officers style Dogtag made of silver or just private purchase

was it unusual not to have the service number on it. W.H.Lewis 2nd Welsh Bde R.F.A

Officers wore the same issue identity discs as anyone else.

This item is a private purchase tag. Being such, there were no "rules" about what exactly was written on the tag. For example, you fairly often get a home address etc on private purchase tags.

I could not see all of the tag that you posted. Not sure if it is my computer, or your posting.

However, if it has no number on it it is more likely to have been an officers because, iirc, British officers didn't have numbers in WW1.

Officers wore the same issue identity discs as anyone else.

This item is a private purchase tag. Being such, there were no "rules" about what exactly was written on the tag. For example, you fairly often get a home address etc on private purchase tags.

I could not see all of the tag that you posted. Not sure if it is my computer, or your posting.

However, if it has no number on it it is more likely to have been an officers because, iirc, British officers didn't have numbers in WW1.

What was the reason for British officers not having numbers in WW1?. New Zealand officers certainly did have ID numbers. thanks for the info. :ph34r:

Lets see if I am right on this before we figure out a reason :D

Can anyone confirm that British WW1 officers did not have numbers?

I know more about WW2 than WW1. In WW2 they definately had numbers and, iirc, they had them "because of the experience of WW1"

As far as I know officers didn't have service numbers in WW1. I noticed this post especially as my Grandfather was W.H.Lewis, Welsh and with the RFA. :)

As far as I know officers didn't have service numbers in WW1. I noticed this post especially as my Grandfather was W.H.Lewis, Welsh and with the RFA. :)

SO can anyone tell me Why they didnt they have numbers is there a reason? if it was your grandfathers would you be intrested in it? :ph34r::D

If it was my grandfather's, I would be interested, but he was not an officer. He joined up underage and spent the war transporting munitions to the south coast. In fact he was probably with the RHA. :)

By the way there only seem to be two officers named Lewis with initials W H on the mics. One is a 2nd/Lt and the other is a Captain.

By the way there only seem to be two officers named Lewis with initials W H on the mics. One is a 2nd/Lt and the other is a Captain.

One must have moved to New Zealand for it to arrive here thanks for the info :) any relation to you?

It may seem a "cop-out" answer, but officers didn't have numbers because that was the way the Army had always done it. Numbers were for other ranks. It was a class thing. Oficers were gentlemen and gentlemen could always be identified by their names. After all, how many officers could there be called, "Lieutenant Sir Archibald Augustus Ava Campbell (Bart.)"?

Tom

Is this an example of how egalitarian the New Zealanders were?

Heres something to make you laugh it did me thats why i brought it a few years back and your right New Zealander's have never had to suffer a class system and i am glad of it .:)

In the new Zealand Military forces you became an Officer on your skills and intelligence not on what family you belonged to.

post-6628-1111673778.jpg

Numbers were for other ranks. It was a class thing.

Tom

Numbers were for convicts too! Those would be the days of "Soldiers and dogs prohibited"! Of course, we still say "Officers and men" as if officers are a different breed! Certainly their hair still seems to grow differently! :P Phil B

Numbers were for convicts too!

Sorry no convicts here try Australia lol :ph34r: and how does ther hair grow?.