Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial

Myrtle

One of my favourite memorials is the one to the men of St Saviour Church. The sculpture stands on its own at the top of Borough High St. with the figure of the soldier looking as if he is about to move southwards. The sculptor Philip Lindsey Clark DSO also produced the Cameronians' Memorial in Glasgow. Does anyone know which regiment Philip Lindsey Clark was with during WW1 ?

post-19-1055857187.jpg

Myrtle

I am currently at work - I believe I may have the answer to your query at home. I will post it - if someone does not beat me to it - this evening.

Have you seen this site?

http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_images....sub=cameronians

Dave

Dave

Yes thank you I have seen the site. It mentions in short biography that Lindsey Clark was a Captain and received DSO but it doesn't mention his regiment. If you find the regiment please let me know.

Thanks

Myrtle

Just in case Dave hasn't found the answer to your query, the following is taken from ‘The DSO 1886-1923’ by Creagh & Humphris,

Part II, page 223:-

CLARK, P. L. (D.S.O. L.G. 17.12.17) (Details, L.G. 23.4.18); T/2nd Lt. (A/Capt.) R. Sussex R.

Part II page 87, Citation:-

"London Gazette, 23 April,1918 - War Office, 23 April, 1917. With reference to the awards conferred as announce in the London Gazette dated 17 Dec 1917, the following are the statements of service for which the decorations were conferred.

CLARK, PHILIP LINDSAY, Temporary Second Lieut. (Acting Capt), Royal Sussex Regt. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of the left flank company of the battalion. When the enemy broke through on his left he organised a defensive flank. Finding a gap on the left he filled and held it with some of his own men and of the unit on his left. He personally led a charge against the advancing enemy and dispersed them, and later repelled another attack. He was wounded by a piece of shrapnel in the head, but though dazed continued to command his company for two days until relieved".

The 'Army List' for Dec. 1917, lists him in the 11th (Service) (1st South Down) Bn. Royal Sussex Regt.

Alan Seymour

Myrtle

Alan beat me to it .... with much more info than I could have given!

However this may also be of interest, it's from LONDON'S OPEN-AIR STATUARY by Lord Edward Gleichen (1928).

BOROUGH WAR MEMORIAL

High Street, Borough

P. LINDSEY CLARK

A good bronze figure of an advancing soldier in a 'tin hat'. On one side of the stone pedestal is a bronze relief representing the Navy; on the other, the Air Force. In front is a rather depressed-looking figure of St.George, and in the rear the figure of Grief.

Erected in 1924 to the men of St.Saviour's, Southwark, who lost their lives in the Great War.

Alan Borg in his WAR MEMORIALS (1991) says:

Philip Lindsey Clark's memorial in Southwark shows a soldier advancing through the mud, rifle slung at his back, but with his eyes firmly fixd on the enemy ahead. Like many others this memorial bears bronze relief panels on the plinth depicting air and sea combat, to provide a balance to the infantryman above, these panels contain much interesting and informative detail.

Alan and Dave

Thank you very much for the information. You have supplied far more than I expected. I believe that St Saviour's Church, which contained the names of the men who are commemorated by Lindsey Clark's memorial, has been converted into luxury flats. As yet I do not know what has happened to the contents including the list of names.

This particular sculpture has always had something special about it; its location is quite striking and it has a realistic quality . Now, from your information, I realise the sculptor knew from first hand observation what he was creating.

I am posting two photographs of the relief panels that were mentioned by Alan Borg.

Myrtle

post-19-1055885991.jpg