Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort Garry Horse France

Guest Sidco7

Hello.

I'm researching my grandfather's involvement in WW1 and looking at his casualty form and came up with his movements. He enlisted in the Canadian Army on May 1, 1918 in Regina Saskatchewan. He was assigned to the R.N.W.M.P. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police) Calvary RD. and shipped out of Montreal on June 3, 1918 abord the H.M.T. BELLEROPHON. They were at sea for 18 days and pulled into Gravesend, Kent, England on June 21, 1918. He reported to the Canadian Reserve Calvary Regiment training camp in Shorncliffe, the same day June 21, 1918. It was reported that he was T.O.S. (taken on strength) that day. After four months of training, he was shipped out to France on Oct 8, 1918. SOS (Struck off Strength) on proceeding O/S to FGH France.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what or where FGH France stands for.

Thanks,

Sid

It could be. I really know nothing about deciphering the code and acronyms of military jargen and forms. I don't know what company he was in or regiment number. I suppose one would be able to squeeze that info out of the forms after one learns how to decode them. :D

The other thing that springs to mind is Field General Hospital, but Fort Garry Horse makes more sense. Phil B

As BeppoSapone says, the abbreviation stands for Fort Garry Horse. The unit served as part of the Canadian Cavalry Brigade, and as the individuals history indicates, he was a cavalry reinforcement. Fort Garry Horse in France.

There is no such thing as a 'Field' General Hospital; they were never referred to in this way in WW1 records.

Somebody better tell this guy then! Phil B

William Edward Blackall came to Australia in 1904 to take a post of medical officer at the Fremantle Asylum. He later moved to private practice in Cottesloe. His lifetime interest in botany led to his becoming an expert in Western Australian flora.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Highlights

Born Folkestone, Kent, England, 8 July 1876. Died Cottesloe (?), 7 October 1941. Educated Oxford (BA 1900, MA 1904, BM, BCh 1904). Medical officer, Fremantle Asylum 1904-10; general practice, Cottesloe from 1910; surgeon to the orthopaedic ward, Lady Lawley Cottage by the Sea; consultant to the Mosman Park school for deaf children; volunteer gunner, Australian Field Artillery 1914-16; honorary captain, Australian Imperial Force 1916-17; 1st Australian Field General Hospital and 1st Australian Field Ambulance 1917-18; assistant director of hygiene for base headquarters, 5th Military District, Australian Army Medical Corps reserve 1919-36; spent some time at Kew Herbarium 1935. Worked on a key to the flora of Western Australia 1930s until his death (completed by B.J. Grieve and published in four parts as "How to Know Western Australian Wildflowers. A Key to the Flora of the Temperate Regions", 1954-75). The Blackall Prize in the University of Western Australia is awarded annually to the most promising student of botany. Two plant genera were named after him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of 'Field' in this description is incorrect. It should just read 1st Australian General Hospital. I presume this is a 'Whos Who' type entry? They are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to military nomlechture.

'Field' would imply it was 'in the field' (in the same way a Field Ambulance would be). However, a huge General Hosiptal was many many miles from the front, usually on the coast or at a location like Rouen, and often in an existing French hospital or larger building.

Thanks to all,

I'm glad I found this forum, I have a bunch of other questions as well and now I know where to come.

Is there another board like this on the second world war as well?

Sid

The Canadian Cavalry Brigade consisted of the Royal Canadian dragoons, Lord Strathcona's Horse, RCHA, and, at first, the 2nd King Edward's Horse, a British unit. Later, in February,1916, the Fort Garry Horse arrived from England and replaced the 2KEH in the brigade. While medal trios to the RCD's and Strathconas are available ( and highly desired), the Garrys only qualified for the war and victory pair.

• spof changed the title to Fort Garry Horse France